Thread: A new guildie

Default A new guildie

Hello,

My name is Holyhalo. Well, it's not really my name but it's what you can call me on the internet.
    Also, I'm new. To all of it: the guild, cartographing and GIMP. Until four days ago I had never used GIMP or any other graphic program in my life before. My skills were limited to 32x32 pixel art for a program called BYOND. Besides that, all I've done graphic wise is some image scaling which was done with Paint. And that was the limit of my graphic knowledge and skill.

I read tutorials by RobA, Pyrandon, Wisemoon's revised version of RobA's tutorial, Torstan for his mosaic houses and Arsheesh' tutorials over the past four days and managed to whip up this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mizaharbordered_zpsceaee1e2.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	53090
    It is still a work in progress as I'm missing the mountains that need adding. The tutorial that I got is confusing, to say the least.

Anyways. That's my little introduction. I will upload some of my other WIPs over the next few days as I have time.
    So yeah... Yo!
    Last edited by holyhalo; 03-28-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Welcome to the guild! Having the boldness to go ahead and post a map in your intro is worth a bit of rep all by itself - we appreciate the willingness to contribute.

The map shows some promise. Do you have a purpose for it, other than learning exercise? Thad could steer where you take it next.

It's based on a map of the world of Mizahar, hence the name and it's not much more than a learning exercise at the moment although I would like to see some sort of a mountain range from the N to the NW to the W of the map. If I could add that to it it's purpose might even be upgraded to an official map of Mizahar. I've tried the two mountain tutorials that I found on here, one by Wisemoon who took it from RobA who took it from Arsheesh and the original one made by RobA. Both were confusing.

Besides the mountains and perhaps a trade route over land, the map is finished, actually so there is not much steering left to do.

Welcome to the Guild Holyhalo! That is a very respectable first crack at fantasy mapping. Mountain can be a bit tricky, but keep practicing the techniques discussed in the tutorials (and feel free to ask questions if you get lost at any point), and you'll get there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh