Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The CSUAC now supports CC3!

Blog Entries

Most of the items that are in these large collections are PNG type files. Along with GIF (which is more limited) one of the nice things about a PNG is that you can set it up with transparency. With PNG that can be RGBA. Thats RGB color as normal and the A is the alpha channel which is transparency and that gets put into the image too. So you can have images with clear edges so making character tokens is easy.

Photoshop and GIMP deal with these easily. I use PSP which my oldish version does not like and reads only the RGB bit and strips the A channel off. If you dont have either then point Firefox or IE at them at they will see it fine.

So you can use these sets by getting a floor plan, grabbing a token PNG and pasting it down (usually on a new layer) and basically drop items onto the floor.

A VTT takes this a bit further because it manages all the tokens for you so its easier to move, scale and rotate them. That for some is basically the sum of what they do.

Just a last minute tip for ViewingDale owners in that there is a utility called ViewingDalePNGtoVMI.exe which you point at the top level of a CSUAC type set of directories and it traverses the whole kaboodle converting all PNG's into the file type it knows about. So no need to go around manually converting them all. You do still have to make icon text files for them tho. Mail me if this is something that you want to do and ill go through it in more detail. Just wanted to point that out to prevent the unnecessary zillion hours of labor there for somebody.

If the token looks like the one on the left its good. If it looks like the one on the right then you need a better app to view it with. Note this is one of the freebie tokens from iCon by Devin.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-07-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Hmm, I can't register at the gmsapprentice to download these images. It's stuck at the register page and not doing anything for me. Hopefully it works soon! I'll try again later.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dimensional_entity View Post
    Hmm, I can't register at the gmsapprentice to download these images. It's stuck at the register page and not doing anything for me. Hopefully it works soon! I'll try again later.
    I had a hard time also, took a couple of weeks. The username I generally use never seemed to work. However (not sure if this matters or not), the username I created that did work had no spaces, underscores, hyphens, etc. and went through the first time I tried it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for the tip. I just tried a different name; one without underscores, numbers, etc. and it worked fine.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

The reason behind the Collection was to give all user the same file structure so that when Dundjinni dja files were shared, all art would show up correctly.

Unless every user has the same file structure maps cannot be shared

The structure of the files is not by month its by type.. Structures, Weapons, creatures..etc

Let say someone on the Dundjinni creates a pgn of a 2 headed Ettin
    Person A might have saved the png file as Ettin2Headed
    Person B might have saved the png file as 2Headed Ettin

Person a creates a map for person b and sends it, although they both have the same png, Dundjinni will not regonize the file in person b's program and it will show up as a big red ? mark on their map. Because they are not named the same. Also it has to be stored in the same folder. If Person a stores it as a token and Person b saves it as cover it won't work either.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12