Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: floating boulders (need help/suggestions please)

That tree looks much better.

Jack and Bogie, thanks!

Here's a very quick test for the upper fog, using the same strip of fog multiple times. I just wanted to get a general idea of how it would look. Overall, I like the effect, but I also dislike how it obscures the details. LOL!! What I'll probably do is provide a with and without version, so players can choose whichever one they like best. Or maybe swap them out during gameplay...where they start out with clean/clear air, then the fog begins to rise and they have to figure out how to deal with it, or get the hell outta there!

I'm going to redo this later, with several different pieces of fog. Will post the update when it's done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 5 WIP.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	898.6 KB 
ID:	85459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 5 WIP detail.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	85460
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Okay, I think I'm calling this done...for the most part. Only thing I'm not too sure of, is if the fog colours are too bright and saturated. What do you guys think?

Name:	floating boulders 6 WIP.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	85461
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:04 AM.

I like the darker original version.

This looks great!
    In my humble opinion, maybe you could tone down the fog opacity and settle for somewhere in between the two pictures?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great map - the only thing that seems off to me is the tree, I see it as growing out 10 foot from the boulder, hanging in the air. I would rather see it fully top down and then use shadows on the boulder to give it height
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer

I think that looks great. Perhaps a bit of shadow around the tree-roots to anchor it a bit?

I like the darker look.

On a smaller island, put a giant bird's nest with eggs. Might consider moss on some of the chains, too.

I know you say the fog stays low, but I'd like to see another "layer" of it with a very low opacity a little higher up on the rocks, maybe. They look a bit like stones sitting on a table cloth.

I really like this one! I'd love to use it soon!

EDIT: Didn't notice there was another page of replies!

I like the update, but I'd consider removing the top layer of fog from the surface of the rocks.

Love it!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 03-31-2013 at 03:59 PM.

So...not quite as done as I thought. LOL!

Thanks very much for the comments/suggestions everyone!

Okay, I lowered the brightness of the fog to what it was in the beginning, and I do like that much better!

Changed the tree as well, per tilt's suggestion, and I think this version is much better as well! The willow tree top didn't quite work for this, so I tried a different one, added shadowing under the foliage over the rock portion, and added some more drop shadow to the roots.

I'm also going to try Sharpe's suggestion about adding some thin fog just below the top of the rocks, to obscure the shadows a bit. I'll post that version when it's done and see what you guys think. Will also try adding moss to the chains. The giant bird's nest is a cool idea, which I personally like, but it's one of those things that I think may be best to let the DM add themselves. What do you think?

Once this original version is settled on, I'll revise the upper fog version.

Name:	Floating Boulders 7 WIP.png 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	85462 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating Boulders 7 WIP detail.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	85463

EDIT: I just realized that the center/trunk of the tree top portion is positioned a little too far off the edge of the rock. I've fixed that and will post the revision with my next update.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:08 AM.

Added a thin layer of mid-level fog, partially obscuring the shadows and going up the sides of the rocks, but not over the tops...except for the two smallest ones. I put a thin layer over the top of them, since they'd be on a lower level than the larger ones.

Added a moss texture to the chains, so now they look mossy/rusty. Also, the moss on the rocks was looking a bit blurry and washed out, so I darkened that a little and upped the contrast.

Made a slight adjustment to the position of the tree top (like I previously mentioned).

Let me know what you think.

Name:	floating boulders 8 WIP.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	85464 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 8 WIP detail.png 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	85465
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:11 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast