Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dashed Lines - Photoshop

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Default Dashed Lines - Photoshop

i found some ways to do a simple Dashed line, but still dont know how to do this Line in photoshop. Someone help me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linha.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	53133

That kind of line is not terribly straightforward in Photoshop. In my opinion, you're better off going to Illustrator, or perhaps Inkscape, for that kind of thing. I know it's fairly easy to set it up in Illustrator, but I've only used the very basics of Inkscape, so I couldn't give you any guidance there.

That said, it is possible in PS: Start by using the Pen tool or Freeform Pen tool to draw a path for your line. Then stroke it with a solid brush in the color you desire for your line on an empty layer. Make a new brush that is two vertical lines at the width of the smaller dot you desire in your line. Go to the Eraser tool and load up your new brush. Adjust the spacing so that it will hit at the frequency you desire, set the angle jitter to direction, and stroke the path with the eraser.

In case you're not familiar with the Paths feature in Photoshop: Before you draw your path go to the Paths palette, which should be behind the Layers and Channels palettes, and click the New button. This will ensure that you do not accidentally replace or add to any existing path when you make a new line. If there is already a work path there, drag that one to the New button first so you can save it for later if you need it. I suggest you keep a separate path for each line in case you want to adjust things later on or use slightly different settings for a given line. A path can be edited with the Direct Selection tool, but any strokes you've made will have to be erased and re-done if you decide to move or reshape the path. To perform the stroke, set up your brush with the brush tool selected, then go back to the Pen tool and right-click your path. Choose Stroke Path... from the context-menu, and you'll get a window with a drop-down box where you can select which tool you want to stroke it with. The tool you use will use the brush you most recently set up when you had that tool selected.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In custom brushes you can pick a square brush, and with scatter to 0% you can set spacing to a fitting distance and paint a line or stroke a path in PS.

It is easier however to make the path in illustrator, copy it and paste it in PS afterwards... That of course require that you know how the path should be.

Easier then to import the map into illustrator and draw the lines there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yes i know tilt, i saw some tutos talking about it in ilustrator, just set the type of line that you want and done... but i dont have ilustrator

Thanks, i did using what Midgar said and is easy and cool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linha.jpg 
Views:	2635 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	53166

Blog Entries

No, the first "hint" was for Photoshop - the other two for Illustrator ... So you can make a dotted line in photoshop without having to delete.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

but how i can get the same distance btw the points? the spaces looks kinda randon

Glad it's working for you. If you want to get really picky with it, you can make the edges rounded by sculpting the eraser brush a bit. Obviously, its shape will be a negative of the shape you want the line to have.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

pick a square brush, then under "brush tip shape" set the spacing to 200%. Then just draw a line. If you want the squares to follow the line instead of all being a 0 degrees, you need to click "shape dynamics" on and under "angel jitter", set control to "direction" and jitter to 0%.
    regs tilt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

never thought of doing this with PS. good idea havin the 'negative' stroke on top of a solid stroke to get the effect. will need to try this out.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Fantastik idea. Have to give it a try too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast