Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pay sucks, but...

Post The pay sucks, but...

I'm considering starting a new game over at EN World to use 4e rules. There is a high demand and few DM's, so I thought I'd step up over there.

The gist of the "adventure" will be a seemingly random series of encounters, one mostly unrelated to the other. Basically, you finish one encounter and walk through the door to the next one. A la Sliders, you never know what you're getting into until you get there.

The idea is not so much to maintain a consistent story, but to provide a medium for folks to work out the new rules, both as players and DMs.

I've got a series of 8 (soon to be 10) 1st level encounters ready to string together, and I was curious if anyone would be interested in creating a few maps for me.

There won't be as many maps as there are encounters, as some encounters will use the same maps as others. I also don't want anything terribly fancy and time consuming, because I know everyone here (usually) has better things to do than make free maps. But something with a bit of artistic merit to it would be nice.

I'd like to take each encounter, along with the maps, and put them together in an official-looking pdf for free distribution (from here, hopefully).

If any of you are interested let me know. I'll post the basic details of each map so that you'll know what must be included for the encounter--the rest will be up to you.

Thanks in advance.

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Given this is free, it is probably best to post the list and see if anyone is interested in doing one or two. I doubt you'll get the full 8-10 from one person due to the amount of work.

However, I am putting maps together for my campaign at the moment and if your encounter maps and my own cover similar scenarios I'll make sure the ones I do for my campaign will also fit yours.

Or you could just use maps that people have already made and ask them for permission if required? From your description it doesn't seem like you need a consistent style of mapping from one map to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Given this is free, it is probably best to post the list and see if anyone is interested in doing one or two. I doubt you'll get the full 8-10 from one person due to the amount of work.

However, I am putting maps together for my campaign at the moment and if your encounter maps and my own cover similar scenarios I'll make sure the ones I do for my campaign will also fit yours.
    Absolutely. Here's the list, so far:

1. A circular stone fort. The diameter is negotiable, as long as there is room for a fight on the inside. There is no roof (or at least not much of one), and a huge V shaped gash is carved out of the side. The bottom should be no wider than a medium-sized person can squeeze through.

Inside is a single stone pillar of equal height to the fort (I'm thinking 50 ft or so?). Eventually the stone around this pillar will collapse to reveal a tall spiral staircase with a single door at the top, seemingly opening into nowhere.

There will be two encounters with this map--one before and one after the revealing of the stairs.

2. A section of forest, possibly with a stream and felled trees. The object here is for the difficult terrain to be a major factor in the encounter.

3. An area of swampland, mixed with a bit of woodsy terrain. This could be worked into the above map if there's a bit of distance between them. This will preferably have a darker feel for flavor reasons, but it's not necessary.

4. A rocky badlands area, or desert (think gnolls). Actually, Dorpond's bluffs map could work well for this.

5. A snow-covered cemetery. Two encounters here, and the only requirement is that there be two hanging bodies--a man and a woman--nearby. A newlywed couple would be great, but not necessary.

6. This will be the simplest one, but also the one with the most intrigue, I think. A hallway, 4 squares wide, with a single door at the end. It should be of a length to take longer than a couple of cautious rounds to get there.

Some sort of 5 ft. grid should be placed in the usable space on each map.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Or you could just use maps that people have already made and ask them for permission if required? From your description it doesn't seem like you need a consistent style of mapping from one map to the next.
    And if I run across some that fit my needs, I most certainly will. Most of what I'm thinking has at least one fairly specific item though, and I think I'd be hard pressed to stumble upon something that fit exactly. Of course, I could always change a bit of the encounter if the map was close, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. And no, a consistent style is most definitely not needed.
    Last edited by industrygothica; 06-17-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    As for number 2. Have a look at GamePrinter's entry to the May competition - looks pretty close to what you need. You should be able to do No.6 on your own!
    And probably will, unless someone else beats me to it. Just thought I'd throw it out there with the rest of them.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    The gist of the "adventure" will be a seemingly random series of encounters, one mostly unrelated to the other. Basically, you finish one encounter and walk through the door to the next one. A la Sliders, you never know what you're getting into until you get there.

If the adventures are going to be random anyway, why don't you start from any of the great posted maps here and make up a scenario to match?

You'll get 'just what you want' by changing what you want to fit the map .

Sigurd

I had a few minutes after dinner tonight, so I whipped together a small cemetary in the snow. I put it in the shadow of a church, cuz' that's how I always picture my gaveyards. If you like it, it's yours. If not, well, you can expect a full refund of the money you paid...

-rlucci

Name:	GraveyardSnow.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	911.1 KB 
ID:	4458  

Quote Originally Posted by rlucci View Post
    I had a few minutes after dinner tonight, so I whipped together a small cemetary in the snow. I put it in the shadow of a church, cuz' that's how I always picture my gaveyards. If you like it, it's yours. If not, well, you can expect a full refund of the money you paid...

-rlucci

I think it's absolutely perfect! Thank you very much.

What'd you use to make it?

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    What'd you use to make it?
    Bryce 6 and Photoshop CS2. In roughly equal measure...

-rlucci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast