Thread: Mars

Map Mars

I managed to get my hands on an elevation map of Mars and decided to run it through parts of the Israh tutorial over the past 2 days just for fun, while I take a break from my main WIP Astalon. This map was done mainly in Wilbur and Photoshop but the climate shading and rivers are were generated in Fractal Terrains. I haven't added cities, regions, countries or anything like that since this isn't my main map but if anyone wants to modify this map and add cities, countries, etc feel free to do so and I would love to see what you did with it

I've attached a 2500x1250 size version of the map but the original was double that size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mars Map 2500x1250.jpg 
Views:	1139 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	53181

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great - fun to watch considering the elevation map you used...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

glad to see an actual world with one huge landmass, and all the mountains globbed together instead of strung out in ridiculous narrow ranges.
    >>< drow ><<

@tilt Yeah it was a fun mini-project
    @drow Indeed! I think what makes this especially cool is that it's so alien compared to earth. We usually expect to see worlds with a lot of sea and a large number of continents with narrow mountain ranges, as you said, and the cold parts in the north.

So is that actually how Mars would look if it had oceans? 'cause it really does defy expectations.

@Larb Yes, I think so. I tried to keep it as realistic as possible. As for the ocean, I input the actual highest peak and lowest depth values of Mars into wilbur and it shaded in the oceans for me. Weird looking (compared to earth) but accurate!

That is really sweet! I was never expecting a super-continent mass like that.