Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** April Challenge - Using Dwarf Fortress ASCII Maps as a Source ***

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I'm already working on something like this for a "community game" called The Museum. (Link below) My nom de plume in the Dwarf Fortress forums is "Timeless Bob". Anyway, that game's world-map has many interesting areas and towns, which will all eventually make it into the ongoing Gazeteer I'm creating as a "Museum Curator". If you'd like to submit your images as well, I'm sure the game's host would be delighted.

The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)

Guild Adept

Been far too long since I participated. I'm in. As a matter of fact, I already have a pretty solid map put together from the dwarffortressmap3.png file shown in the first post. I'll post a WIP pic as soon as I come up with a name.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: *** April Challenge - Using Dwarf Fortress ASCII Maps as a Source ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I wonder if it would allowed for one of these fine gamers from Bay 12's forums who already has a world going and would like to see said world come to cartographic life, to post an image here that one might use for the basis of this challenge? That way I'm not in as much danger
    I definitely agree on this, and wish I'd thought of it before. If any dedicated DF players want to see their own world come to life, post it here!

Posted from my Android Cyanogenmod Phone with Tapatalk 2.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Applicant

Greetings, Cartographers! From The Destined Planes, I bring you Cadeniathira (The Land of Eyes).

For those of you new to Dwarf Fortress, this is the kind of name that it procedurally generates.

Anyway, here's the map(s):

The top level overview:

Civilization hotspots and trade:

Relative evil:

Biomes:

Let's talk symbols. I will refer you to the wiki page, but here's the important ones for your first perusal.
    • The upper-case pi's are Goblin Fortresses, spilling forth the foul bowmen and master lashers who killed both my forts in this plane. Usually it's the forgotten beasts, but those don't show on a map.
    • The omegas are the Mountainhomes of the Dwarves

Dwarf Fortress generates and stores mind-boggling amounts of data. I don't know how much detail you guys want to go into, but it's certainly there. On request, I can provide:
    • More maps, including temperature, rainfall, civilization claims, "evil", "wildness" and more of regions.
    • A detailed world history of wars and megabeast deaths.
    • The story of two specific Dwarf Fortresses, both of which fell to seige, and one that is still ongoing.

Enjoy! This seems like cool work you gentlemen are engaged in.

Tim Furman
    Bay12Champion
    Last edited by Kekenkenka; 04-02-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Adding pics

Rats..I'm getting an invalid attachment on that. It sounds great though. I think we may need more of these. And the details such as climates and so on all helps with the creation of the maps. At least it does for me, giving me an idea of what sort of coloration to use etc.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, keep in mind if you're choosing the option to download and play DF yourself, these maps and datapoints are all readily available to you for the worlds you generate.

Tim, I just checked your attachments folder, and there's definitely no file uploaded there. I'm wondering if something went wrong...could you try again?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Oh man, I did this four years ago, hehe.

Toady One mention in his development updates that you guys were doing a challenge specifically around DF maps, so I had to head over here again.

For those of you who are having trouble with the matrix code, you might have an easier time if you ignore the shape of the character and only worry about it's color. You can infer quite a bit of information just from that, although some characters do have special meaning (such as towns and cities or named mountain peaks, or upside-down U shaped characters for hills--versus grassland).

Guild Applicant

I'm sorry, everything seemed ok in the preview menu. Here, let me link everything through Photobucket.

Guild Apprentice

I have been waiting since 2010 to see this, when I posted by first maps by Dwarf Fortress. There is so much potential here. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

For those of you not familiar with DF, know that you can export more map views than just the basic ASCII. You can export biomes, sites, trade maps, structures, even local city and dungeon maps. I have gone through and mapped a few myself. Just as an example, I want to post a few different images of a map I made for myself of a dwarf fortress world (I'm not a map maker, so it would be up to you to make it nice, but it shows the potential well)

This is the biome map exported from DF, I marked the cities and sites and color coded them for myself (blue for dwarf forts, large green dots are cities, small green dots are hamlets, etc)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaseBiomes.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	53228

This is what the sites look like without the map. This is Dwarf Fortress randomization at work!

Name:	StarMap.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	53225

I then went through with the traders map and mapped all the links between cities. This is the lite version.

Name:	RoadMap_Lite.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	615.8 KB 
ID:	53226

And this is the version after I mapped out the rivers (the thickness refers to the waterflow, again generated by DF)

Name:	RoadMap_All.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	764.9 KB 
ID:	53227

I even went further and mapped out country boundaries to create a political map, but I haven't figured out a way to make that understandable yet, there is just so much information involved!!

I just wanted to share that with you guys. I don't know what the limits are in this challenge, but if you can use any map randomly generated with DF, the possibilities are limitless. I can't wait.

This sounds like a fun challenge.

Does it need to be a DF world map?

I have played it and built a few dwarf forts. Although I use a tileset (not a fan of the ASCII myself), and it'd be fun to map one of them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast