Thread: Hello everyone...

Guild Novice

Post Hello everyone...

...very much looking forward to being a part of the community.

As I have no skills at making maps (actually any artistic skill at all) I am looking forward to what the community has to offer.

I am looking at getting some maps created, but I do not know much about what I need to ask for, so I may end up asking a few questions
    I will try and get up to speed by reading up as much as I can, but I do confess a lot of it goes straight over my head especially when it comes to size of map needed, and appropriate dpi etc.

Well, this is post 1 of 5 I need to create.

Thanks for reading

Regards
    Gary

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Firstly, Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Secondly, as to what we can offer you here at the Guild...3 things that we do that are virtually unmatched ANYWHERE else on the interweb; 1- Take someone with "absolutely no artistic talent" and show them how to turn out really good maps. We have OOOODLES of tutorials that do just that. 2- Provide an unbelievable pool of talent for those that really do not have the time or inclination to make their own maps. We have a Map request page that should connect you to someone who can suit your needs. 3- Provide one of the friendliest and helpful communities around for ANYONE interested in maps. We have a WIP (WorkIn Progress) Forum where anyone from rank beginners to (very) experienced pros can post something that they are working on and recieve constuctive comments and criticism that helps them create better maps. It is here (in the WIPs) that the community REALLY comes to the fore.

Thirdly, I cannot suggest strongly enough that you look through the Tutorial section for a style you like and try some of them out. You will be amazed how fast you can learn to make maps the you now think would be imposible for you. All it really takes is a bit of practice, patience and posting in the WIPS to get you from here to there.

Enjoy your stay Gary
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Hi Gary. I'm a new guy here too... this will be my second post (assuming my introduction post ever gets approved).

Mapping isn't so tough if you know what you want to have - There are some pretty solid tutorials on the stickied thread at the top of this forum. I would recommend that you figure out what you want, then try playing around with some of the free software that they have listed (GIMP, mostly) to get the hang of pushing pixels.

-Schyzm

Welcome to the Guild! Definitely try out some of the tutorials...you'll be surprised at what you can do. Looking forward to seeing your first steps!
    M

Guild Novice

Thanks all for your support. I may end up having a go, but my skill is in making worlds (campaigns) and modules. so im looking for maps to go with them.

i was looking through some of the gallery's and have started to list mappers with the styles i like.
    will be offering a paid commission sometime in the future.

will be starting at the world map level with basic continent shapes, and then drill in for details on subsequent maps as the budget can afford it.
    will be my biggest project yet

regards
    Gary

Welcome to the Guild Gary! Well the first thing I would say is that, unless time is a real obstacle, you should have a go at a tutorial or two before deciding on whether or not to offer a commission. You may be surprised at what you are capable of once you give it a go. However if you do decide to offer a commission, do read through the sticky in the Map Requests section before posting. Best wishes on your project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Hi Arsheesh, Im from the land of the Hobbits too. In the big smoke, Auckland.

And every day I learn a little more, so I hope not to look too nooby when I offer my commission.
    There is some seriously amazing artists here, and I am looking forward to getting my world underway.

Hi Gary, I'm living in the big smoke as well, though I'll soon be moving out to the Albany area. Nice to meet someone from around these parts.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh