Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of D'Haon - first posting - WIP

Guild Novice Scribbler's Emporium's Avatar

Map World of D'Haon - first posting - WIP

Hi,

I was recently directed to this site and am posting for the first time. I'll UL a few images of a map I've been working on collaboratively with 3 other guys. The map is in a nearly finished state. It may never be truely done but thats the nature of fantasy cartography.

The world is called D'Haon.
    The map was created for a RPG that started about 30 years ago - mid 1980s.
    It was first drawn by hand and then transferred to CorelDraw v3. Now working in Coreldraw v14.

The working CDw map is 30,000 x 24,000 pixels (~25MB) with about 30 layers, representing about 4000 x 3000 km of land. With this map I was going for a National Geographic style, though I've tried various others.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DHaonMap-2013-03-1200x900.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	53204

Here is a closer zoom in one section showing some human settlements along with a combination of elevation and vegetation zone information in colour.

Name:	Naiwaro-Complete.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	53205

Multiple layes can be confusing, so here is the same area with just the human settlement information.

Name:	Naiwaro-Human.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	53206

I have additional information in layers such as ocean currents, prevailing winds, precipitation expectations, seasonal temperatures, elevations (see height-map below), faultlines, bedrock type (sedimentry vs igneous) and regions with interesting geological mineral findings such as various gemstones, metals and coal, so a GM can work with some economics. Here is a close up of a different region with the overlay of gems and metals. Yes, there is an index to explain the colours.

Name:	Zemarous-Geology.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	53207

At present, there are 47 countries scattered about. We have a good ideas on about the last 500 years worth of political history for every country and a fair idea of the last 2000 years of history in more vague terms.

The guys have also invented a pantheon of 10 gods and a really interesting creation-story to set the tone.

The map holds about 4500 settlements from small towns up to large cities. The names of the countries and the settlements were generated from clever software written by one of the guys so as to mimic 13 different fantasy languages. There are 9 different climate zones.

I recently discovered the software package Wilbur and I've been working on a height-map and subsequent bump-map for the world. I'll post some of that work when I get something I'm happy with. What I loved about Wilbur is that it identified the same major river systems I did! Clever.
    I like the Wilbur rivers better than mine, so thats likely the next major iteration.

Name:	Dhaon7WHM.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	53208

I notice that many submitters here use pixel-based software (photoshop/gimp/etc) and far fewer using vector-based software such as Coreldraw and others. I'd be very interested in member's opinions on a) our maps of D'Haon, and b) the pros and cons of vector-based versus pixel-based software.

Cheers,
    ~Scribbler

Scribbler's Emporium, this is looking very nice so far. I'm interested to watch the Wilbur map develop as well. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Arsheesh: Thanks for posting the tutorial. That really helped a lot.

Map

This is how I got so far with the Wilbur height map.

Name:	Dhaon-ColourGradientMap-small.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	53323

I likes me a good atlas rendering, and you have nailed it. Welcome to the Guild; an auspicious intro indeed. I have maps that old, only mine are squirreled away on their original graph paper, not honed, detailed, and beautifully realized as you and your friends have done. My only comment on the vector nature is well done, and may we have some more, please?

Sorry I can only hand out a bit of rep at once, but methinks you'll have more coming.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i like the Atlas style maps on the top. very nice. been meaning to try my hand at something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    I likes me a good atlas rendering, and you have nailed it. Welcome to the Guild; an auspicious intro indeed. I have maps that old, only mine are squirreled away on their original graph paper, not honed, detailed, and beautifully realized as you and your friends have done. My only comment on the vector nature is well done, and may we have some more, please?

Sorry I can only hand out a bit of rep at once, but methinks you'll have more coming.
    Thanks. I appreciate the comments.
    There is plenty more to share. Can't let out all my secrets at once!

Another close-up of a different section.

Name:	Dahrean-wide.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	53342

Cheers,
    Scribbler

This is really outstanding! I love all the different iterations, all the information you have worked out and presented. It's really stunning, and I can't wait to see how you develop it.

Thanks. Another area for your amusement.

Name:	SWCoast2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	53672

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast