Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - edge of an empire

Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP - edge of an empire

So, I started posting this in my introduction thread herel, howeverI figure it's probably more appropriate in this forum.

If you'd like to see the previous iterations of that map, you can find them behind the link. For now, I will stick the current iteration here.

I'm currently trying to deal with the flatness of the lowlands - a problem that is manifesting with the "glued on" mountains look. Unfortunately, my photoshop file size has become seriously unwieldy - at over 200 megabytes while open, my machine is choking on it. I think that I've got an overabundance of effects layers going into play here and need to start condensing them in order to keep working with the file, so that the machine quits trying to recalculate the bazillion effects I have going into this. Since I'm fairly satisfied with the ocean as a set of layers, I think I'll start there, but I think that part of the problem with my current technique is that i'm using a LOT of layer masks, so a lot of the "effects" of the textural layers are hidden behind masks since I don't want to see them (rendered clouds, for breaking up pattern repeat, for instance.)

any photoshop experts have thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-small.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	932.7 KB 
ID:	53251  

Guild Apprentice

Here is the next iteration (sans hex). I took the whole shebang back to the land outline and rebuilt the .psd, trying to be a bit more judicious in my use of layers to break up textures. I would say that this has been rather successful.

Name:	5-small.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	660.2 KB 
ID:	53343  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Indeed better though the different terrains could blend smoother in my opinion;

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Indeed better though the different terrains could blend smoother in my opinion;
    working on that - the hill terrain is the one I'm currently struggling with blending - I think the mountains, lowlands and forests are coming out where they border each other. Here's another iteration. I added the hex grid back into the mix (I just hadn't added it to this version of the psd file yet).

Name:	6-small.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	797.9 KB 
ID:	53347  

Blog Entries

Nice work! I like both of your attached - while the second is argueably better in terms of photoshopping and blending, I think the first has a nice basic feel that might be more practical-looking. Like a map with a true purpose. I hope your machine is working a little bit better for you

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like the style of it. I think you could go with a lighter / lower opacity for the grid though. It takes away from the map instead of being in the background.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

aye. I'm having a bit of visibility problems when I go with a lesser opacity than that, sadly.

I think I need to whip up a different fill grid - thinner than this one.

Try reversing the grid, at least over land. I bet white or at least light hexes would show better.

Nice terrain!

Guild Apprentice

Hmm. I still think it overpowers and isn't very readable.

Well.... I could go with a player hack to fix this. for the nice map, place a scale and don't worry about the hexes - and for the player wiki, put a labeled hex version up that they can reference.

Name:	7-small.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	915.8 KB 
ID:	53368  

Guild Apprentice

without grid.

Name:	8-small.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	53369  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast