Thread: First Map Discussion

Info Hello All!

Thanks to the wonderful tutorials. I am currently working on my first map of Thesa, though I am not doing the whole continent yet. That'll be for a later attempt. I am doing the northern coast, or as most denizens call it "The Reaching Coast" which consists of five...I think I put five, Maybe four, if I can't fit all of them.

"The Meloiran Grandure - The Country of Meloira" - a plains country rivaled against Amesyus. Southern border covered by mountains with rivers flowing north to the sea.

"The Military State of Amesyus - The Military Covenant" - Once made of the three countries; Urbetz, Ames, and Hygaren. A series of conflicts against Ames during 1803-1825, caused the two to either surrender or negoitate a treaty which lead to their absorbing into Ames, the new title was established by the Unified State Government in 1830, after Urbetz remaining government collapsed and Hygaren's last known king died from lung disease.

"The Lost Sands - The Seneshaaran Outlands" - Once, supposedly, home to a great empire of Shahs and Kings. Seneshaara has become economicially and governmentally unstable due to recent actions of outside countries leading to an anarchy-styled government primarily owned by bandits, thief kings, and resistant groups of armed citizens. It has been called by the "Civilized World" as the "Last barbaric land of Thesa".

"The Mountain of Steel - The New Folkand Raisings" - It is unknown what caused the first settlers to establish cities so far into the Skyreach Mountains, Southeast of Amesyus, but they managed and became a massive steel power. With help of Amesyus in 1887, the small, nomadic steel-millers became a booming country paid in Amesyus currency, New Folkand retains it's freedom from the military power via the Lord General Grantance, a treaty that still stands after 20 years of being signed.

Thats all I have for now, once I get the map done. I hope you all will ask questions about the countries up-above and maybe I will reveal a bit of story and history. I do have an extensive timeline, so I am not afriad to share. Please comment.

-Dornier Spy
    Last edited by Dornier Spy; 04-10-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: New Title Needed

I might actually need some help on this. I have checked several tutorials on how to make an Archaic Map for the "Reaching Coast", but I seem to be failing on the actual doing it. Can someone help me, I don't really know what I am doing wrong. I am using GIMP, though I am hoping to get Photoshop soon and I really need some help on my first map.

Hi Dornier Spy. Perhaps you could say a bit more about what precisely is trouble you are having. First, which tutorial are you using, what steps of the tutorial are you having trouble with, and do you have a screenshot of what you've got so far?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I can't find the tutorial now, I know it was for GIMP though, but not yours. I have just checked yours out though and I might use that one. But the few I have found and tried haven't done well. My map is...I don't know how to say it. The imagery usually goes screw when I flatten the image, and the map just doesn't seem right. I'll give yours a try though now that I have read it and give you a message on how it is.