Thread: WIP Fantasy World Map

Wip WIP Fantasy World Map

So I wanted to mess around with a few world map things that I liked from Fractal Terrains, and I guess at this point I want to just flesh them out into full maps to see what kind of style I like the most that I can come up with I guess. This one is an entirely possible choice for my headworld, but it's still just in the early stages of development. I was super inspired by the amount of work that went into the World of Gotha maps, and all the different types of maps they had for just that one world. That's the kind of project I want to have with my headworld, though I'm not entirely sure if it's feasible by myself, but what the heck.

Anyways, these are the shapes that I have going for my world map, along with vague mountain placements and by no means a finalization or anything similar close to style that I'm going with. There are a few notes on the map as to explain the large gaping sea that I have and sort of indicators as to show where the tropic and equator lines are.

I've been wanting to change the projection with G.Projector, but it doesn't like to show my map if I change projections and always freezes when I try to save the current projection. Not really sure what to do about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	53287

Very cool - have you taken a look at Geoff's Climate Cookbook? Very indepth doc about figuring out climate areas and such, and it starts with figuring out the tropical and polar areas. I can image a lot of whirlpools/maelstroms in that large sea in the west - or at the very least a very strong current (similar to the one in the Atlantic) that sweeps ships around; could be hard to get out of such a strong current if the technology level isn't all that high, which could explain an unknown continent/landmass in the middle.
    The shapes of the landmasses are great, and that big landlocked (? almost?) sea in the north of the eastern continent could potentially help create a really interesting climate up there - the water will cool the air and surrounding area, but the "horizontal" (like Europe/Asia, where the Americas are more vertical) nature of the continent seriously inhibits the progress of any storms, so there could be room for a dry, cold 'desert' area up there.

Sorry! Just thinking aloud; you've got a great base to work from here! Looking forward to seeing more.

- kes

P.S. as for G.Projector - maybe compatibility mode, or run as admin? Download the newest version from NASA (if you don't already have it)? Otherwise, I could run it through for you, as I've got G.Projector and (so far) it's working.
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

I have taken a look at the Climate Cookbook and I really like it. I think once I solidify the altitude on this map I'll move onto actual climate as well. Also I hadn't much given an idea to there being a lot of whirlpools and maelstroms in that sea, but it sounds great! My husband pointed out that there could be tons of volcanic activity in the area as well as there being a ring of volcanoes around the sea.

I'm not very knowledgeable about climates and how they interact (I really should pay more attention to my geography classes), but this helps out a lot to flesh out some really good ideas. And I might try running g.projector in compatibility mode and run as admin, as I've just been trying to start it up. I'll update as to whether or not that fixed my problem.

Updating with further progress, did a little stylization for the ocean, and working on topographical shapes for the mountains and such. Haven't done a map topographically like this before, so I'd like a little feedback before I go all out on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	53293

looking good, those border patterns around the continent edges are pretty flash

I like the topographical approach, I think you should stick with it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I agree with Lejonhjärta about the coastlines. The effect seems a bit huge.