Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP : unnamed hand-drawn town

Wip WIP : unnamed hand-drawn town

Inspired by this video, I plunged into a little project, having stopped drawing cities by hand more than five years ago.

It's a typical fantasy town, with a castle, guilds, a mages academy,... I'll try to colorize it in PS, and describe it further.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	1979 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	53307

C&C welcome !

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	53326 First steps. Not satisfied by the grass, I'll change it later.

it'd be interesting to see what you could do with clone-stamping aerial terrain around the town. i like the blue-print feel of your map.

What do you mean ? Effect of wind on the grass ? Or something else ?

I really like the structure and layout of this city. I think that the basic color palette is also good. But I am not digging the river texture. You may want to use a blur tool to show the flow of the water. Either put a lighter layer if the river is shallow, or a darker one if it is a deep river, on top of the river and then blur it in the natural direction the water is flowing. If it is a slow deep river then make this less dramatic and lower the opacity a bit.

Also, consider using a single color for all the roads and negative space surrounding city blocks.

I also like the felt-like texture of the whole map. Good job.

Thanks for your advice ! I'll try it next time I'm taking a cartographic session.

Nice job so far. I think that with some colour effects the grass will look better. The one thing I can say I actually didn't like is the water blue color, in my opinion you should try another one, of course if you like it just pretend I never said that

Thanks for the input. If I'm sufficiently awake this morning, I'll try it during my coach commuting !

Name:	wip2ut.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	53675
    Worked a little on the grassland and the river.
    Still pondering about the streets. I intended to make a visible difference between the old city, richer with paved streets, and the new districts poorer with muddy streets. I'll think about the pros and cons of keeping the idea or making all the streets the same.

Name:	wip3ut.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	879.1 KB 
ID:	53850I think the exercice is near its end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast