Thread: GIMP Gradients Question

Question GIMP Gradients Question

Hiya. I've been working through RobA's tuts for creating regional maps. I'm looking at the updated section on creating mountains. I have created the area selection for mountains, added the noise layer, and now filling the selection with gradient ahead of the embossing step. I have multiple areas in different shapes and sizes. The larger and wider areas fill with the gradient very nicely and I can see where the ridgeline or peaks come through very nicely. Unfortunately, the smaller the selection area, the darker the gradient. In some cases, the smaller selection areas show almost no change after the applyign the gradient. I am guessing the issue is with how fast the transition through colors as it builds the gradient. Small areas just get the dark colors and never make it to lighter ones (the gradient is black to white). I have fidgeted around with how far I pull the gradient and various settings but really cant seem to get much change. Any tips on how to control the gradient so the smaller areas show some ridges too?

Thanks.

In the gradient editor window there are little arrows pointing at the different transitions in the gradient, you can slide those either way to affect how quickly transitions occur. Not sure if this will help with the problem you are describing though.

when I read your idea, I thought you had it nailed...customize the gradient like a custom brush (I"m still learning GIMP). alas, i wasn't able to make that work. The narrower selected areas remain black as if they are still in the edge of the gradient from bblack to white.

playing around a bit, it appears the gradient is tied to the overall image size. If I do 3000x3000, large areas show fine, but areas in the 250x250 range within that large image come up dark. However, if I create a new image and size it to 200x200, put in a smear of paint and run through the steps the gradient shows up correctly.

well, i found part of an answer. The linear gradients do change shape based upon mouse drag. However, the shapeburst options (sphere, angular, dimpled) are not affected by drag direction or distance. RobA's tut uses dimpled so it doesn't look like i can control it.

Hmm. The other option I guess is to edit your own and just start it off in a grey instead of the black.