Thread: My first map (WIP)

Wip My first map (WIP)

Hello all!

This is my first map. It's the starting area for my new 4e campaing. I made it following ZombieNirvana's video tutorials.

I plan to add a marsh to the north and some cultivated lands to the farms outside the town.

Comments are very welcomed as I have a lot to learn !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Irondale-wip3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	4462  

This is a pretty nice looking map. I like the colors that you are using, and the general shape of the map.

I don't really like mixing two different styles though. Your buildings are all top down views, while the hill and trees are all at an angle. I don't think the two styles mix well.

Also, and I don't know if this is a complaint as much as an observance, Most of the houses are pretty small when compared with the roads in the main town.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I looked at the map and said wow nice job. Then I read what lando said and I agree about the roads but I didn't even notice that at first as I was just looking at the aesthetic entirety so keep up the good work.

Very nice for your first attempt! I agree with other posters, but mostly with a) the ISO trees (which look LOVELY btw) vs the top down buildings and b) the trees are WAY to big for the size of the buildings.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I love that map. What software did you use?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks a lot for the comments!

I used photoshop for the map. It's entirely digital.

I didn't realize about the difference in style before landorl pointed it out. Thank you very much!

Now I don't know what could be better (and easier ): remake the ISO items into flat so they match the buildings or remake the buildings into ISO style?

I think it's fine the way it is, view and scale both, but if you want to change it I can only think it would be easier to redo the forests rather than try to make an isometric view of the town, especially at that scale.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I also want to add that your first attempt is a lot better than many of my best maps!