Thread: A Quick Geomorph

Guild Journeyer

Map A Quick Geomorph

I decided to see how fast I could pull together a geomorph-style tile this morning, using the same style as my most recent mapping project. I did this at 100dpi, 1" = 5' scale, starting in Inkscape to lay out the walls and then moving to Gimp for textures and fills. I stole a couple of decorations from Bogie's thread of premade mapping elements and resampled them to scale.

Here's the basic tile:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test_10_10.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	745.1 KB 
ID:	53338
    And here's the same tile duplicated and rotated beside itself to test the matchup between them:

Name:	Test_10_10_Dbl.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	53339

This took about two hours, with a couple detours. I had to rejigger the doors to fit this resolution. I stole them from my Tombs project, which is 150dpi. I also had to rebuild a grid to this scale.

Lovely colours mthomas. One thing: the grid overlay on the beige tiles looks messy - too many confusing lines.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks! I really need to broaden my texture choices for floors, I keep coming back to the same trio of colors/patterns.

I agree on the grid lines. Personally I'd just turn them off in favor of whatever grid the application provides.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas768 View Post
    I decided to see how fast I could pull together a geomorph-style tile this morning, using the same style as my most recent mapping project. I did this at 100dpi, 1" = 5' scale, starting in Inkscape to lay out the walls and then moving to Gimp for textures and fills. I stole a couple of decorations from Bogie's thread of premade mapping elements and resampled them to scale.

Here's the basic tile:

Name:	Test_10_10.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	745.1 KB 
ID:	53338
    And here's the same tile duplicated and rotated beside itself to test the matchup between them:

Name:	Test_10_10_Dbl.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	53339

This took about two hours, with a couple detours. I had to rejigger the doors to fit this resolution. I stole them from my Tombs project, which is 150dpi. I also had to rebuild a grid to this scale.
    Very nice. Do you plan to make more tiles? If so, I'd love to talk about seeing if you're interested in submitting them for use on my web app, Dave's Mapper.

Guild Journeyer

hey nice work - especially in 2 hours! My 2 cents - stay away from black walls - it's hard to see any bevel to them, and the bevel tool is pretty good in adding depth to the wall to floor progression; pulls out the "cookie-cutter" quality to a map a bit.