Thread: Manaizin

Map Manaizin

Here is a map I'm currently working on. Not much yet, just have the layout and the mountains so far. Trying to stay active on the forums. Hard to do when you work every day.But anyways Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manaizin Progress.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	493.8 KB 
ID:	4424

Pretty.

Welcome to the forums...

Sigurd

Praise Looking good!

Hi to a fellow newbee!

The map looks very interesting - thanks for the the inspiration.

Are doing the map in CC2 or CC3?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Nice start, Desktop! One piece of advice if you are using CC2 - remember that you can make your own colour palletes and not rely on the default one which (imo) is quite garish and oversaturated for the style of map that CC symbols favour. (I'm sure you can do this in CC3 as well, but I don't have it, so can't really comment).

Also, by using your own colour pallete, the map becomes more individual and looks less like a 'default' CC map. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the look is becoming a bit cliched. The best CC maps I have seen are ones which I would have never have guessed were drawn in CC.

As a start, try adjusting the colours (easy to do in CC where you can change all instances of the same colour in one operation) and see what you come up with!

Then, if you really want to get adventurous, try making a few of your own symbols as well!

Very nice work, DesktopDragon! Welcome to The Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    (I'm sure you can do this in CC3 as well, but I don't have it, so can't really comment).
    Yes, you can still make custom palettes in CC3, and in fact, CC3 now handles custom palettes much better than CC2. In CC2/CC2 Pro, the palette location was "hardwired" to the software code, and to make your own custom palatte you had to "swap out" the new .PAL file with the same name as the default .PAL file included with CC2 (after making a backup of the original of course) - it was very clunky and cumbersome. In CC3, you can now have multiple color palettes, and you can also attach a palatte to a map so it travels with it. For more info, see this article in the Help files:

Understanding Colors in CC3
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Thanks for Link Jaerdaph! I'll take a look at this and try out a few palettes.

Actually, I mispoke above. The default palette is now hardwired to the software in CC3 - there is no default palette .PAL file. If you want a custom palette used by default in all your maps, you can include one in the Drive:\Program Files\Profantasy\CC3 directory with the name FCW32.PAL

CC3 will now pull this palette as the default for all maps over the hardwired default CC3 color scheme palatte.

If you only want to use this palette in one map, do the following. In your drawing, go to File -> Drawing Properties. In the Drawing presets dialog box, click the Attach to drawing button under Custom palette. Save your map. Then you can delete the FCW32.PAL file, and all your other maps without this palette attached (old ones and new ones you create) will use the hardwired default color palette again. But the map with the palette attached will keep those custom colors.

Since CC3 will only work with one palette that needs to have the name FCW32.PAL, I usually save my custom palettes in another directory with a descriptive name like OVERLANDCOLORSCHEME.PAL and then rename the file FCW32.PAL when I need to copy it into the directory mentioned above so I can access it. Then I attach it to the current map, and delete the PAL file afterwards.

Here's a sample palette I did if you want to test this out based on colors found in an old Microsoft map program. First, check the palette as is by default now in CC3 - specifically colors 176 through 191. Now rename this file FCW32.PAL and follow the steps above. Now check out colors 176 through 191. Just delete the PAL file if you want to go back to the default colors.

So yeah, I guess it still is a little clunky, but at least the risk of overwriting the default palette is now gone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Cool, it worked. Thanks again Jaerdaph.