Thread: Land of Islandir

Guild Journeyer

Wip Land of Islandir

So, after redesigning my main continent, I decided to switch style, test some techniques and map the very first area, which I created almost 8 years ago. This is heavily in progress and needs work, but as always I'd like to get some feedback before I proceed any further. This is a roughly 600x600 miles area.

Any c&c is welcome!

PS: I am also struggling with the colors. I set a new (correct I hope) gamma in my monitor and adjusted some other settings, so some feedback on that two would be welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islandir copy.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	448.4 KB 
ID:	4463  

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    So, after redesigning my main continent, I decided to switch style, test some techniques and map the very first area, which I created almost 8 years ago. This is heavily in progress and needs work, but as always I'd like to get some feedback before I proceed any further. This is a roughly 600x600 miles area.

Any c&c is welcome!

PS: I am also struggling with the colors. I set a new (correct I hope) gamma in my monitor and adjusted some other settings, so some feedback on that two would be welcome...
    I think the colors are pretty good. Nice start so far.

I assume you will get back to adding shadows to the mountains up top like the ones in the middle? Also, do you plan on adding more shading and highlights to the mountains or are you going more for a minimalist style?

Tree trunks --- nuff said.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I worked a little bit more on the rivers and various features of the land. I am thinking of resizing this realm to 500x500 or 400x400 miles. I am not sure yet, I have to check with some of my notes.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most are the solid, simple colors. I am thinking of adding some variations, but I don't know if I should do it a the end as an overall texture or something, or if I should do it for each of the color layers...Suggestions?

And I don't know about the tree trunks yet...I going to sleep over it!

Name:	islandir copy.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	4508  

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    I worked a little bit more on the rivers and various features of the land. I am thinking of resizing this realm to 500x500 or 400x400 miles. I am not sure yet, I have to check with some of my notes.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most are the solid, simple colors. I am thinking of adding some variations, but I don't know if I should do it a the end as an overall texture or something, or if I should do it for each of the color layers...Suggestions?

And I don't know about the tree trunks yet...I going to sleep over it!
    heh.. got to have tree trunks....

As for the solid simple colors, I think it looks fairly nice. If you want a bit more variety, one thing you could do is cross color on the mountain layer, ie, put some white on the dark side of the mountains and a bit of dark over on the light side. If you want it not quite as harsh, you can (should) use the smudge tool to smudge it up. I have played with this since reading a tutorial and love the technique.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just wanted to say...those trees rock.

Guild Journeyer

OK, here's another update!

I tweaked the coloring a little bit, added some details and some labels. I also tried to work on those rivers. It might be "too much" though. Also, tell me about the font.

I plan to add settlements, major roads, scale and maybe a small island complex in the southwest. Till then, I am open to suggestions...

Name:	islandir_copy2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	810.7 KB 
ID:	4550  

Looking really good. To my mind, the coastline could use a wee bit more definition. If not a black line, then maybe a slightly darker green than that of the landmass. I really do like what you have done with the forests.