Thread: How to draw... Mountains?

Blog Entries

Default How to draw... Mountains?

Hey guys!

I am embarking on a new project I'll post here soon, and I am trying to create some realistic mountains.

I know there are quite a few different mountain designs out there, but I am curious to know which ones are best and how to go about doing them. For this project, they will be hand drawn, but advice for prorgrams like Gimp would also be helpful, since I hope to move to computerized maps soon.

Thanks in advance!

foremost

Hmmm...what a predicament. I have a few mountain designs I use for maps. But they are those I found on deviantart. Most of the stuff I draw is based off there. I would look on some maps from there for inspiration. Or some on this Guild, thats my advice.

Blog Entries

Good idea. Thanks for the quick reply.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

No problem man.

You may get some more assistance if you share a picture link of what you mean by 'realistic'. There are many ways to draw realistic mountains.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I would say, pull up Google Earth, find a mountain range that looks like what you are after and then draw/paint something like that. I have a couple techniques I use but I keep changing how I do it so it depends on what day you ask me, and on if you think my mountains look realistic to you.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

@Chasio: You're exactly right when you say "there are many ways to draw realistic mountains". If you look up a picture of a mountain online you can find all sorts of different photos. However, when it comes to drawing them, it's harder to say what looks the best. One could use the topographical map feel (looking directly down, with lines marking elevations, the closer together the lines are, the steeper the slope) or drawing the mountains side-on and try to replicate the ridgeline. Below I gave an example of a topographical map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topographical Map.png 
Views:	4272 
Size:	978.7 KB 
ID:	53377

@Jaxilon: I just did exactly that, and those look like something I could use. The trick would probably be getting them at the correct angle. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to put them in this morning, wish me luck!
    Last edited by foremost; 04-07-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Katahdin!

Yes, so I'd say that the best style of mountains is whatever is the most clear and useful for what you want to use the map for. If you're intending it to be used for specific route determination, then a full out topo map with relief shading would be the way I'd go. If you don't need to know the elevations you could forgo the topo contour lines. If you want to give a pictorial representation of the landscape--maybe show how jagged or smooth a mountain range is--a bird's eye or isometric angle might better suit your needs. What did you have in mind?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Blog Entries

You're in Maine too? Awesomeness.

I published the map I made, you can find it in my signature link below. I am mostly happy with how the mountains turned out, and perhaps I'll like them even more once I can add some color.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.