Thread: WIP Regional Map

Default WIP Regional Map

Hey, so I'm working on a map, and I have a couple issues I'd like advice on. I'm working in GIMP 2.8.

First off, the raw terrain--no embellishments. I feel like the coastlines need some help, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Any thoughts? If you have any comments on other elements as well, I'm all ears.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timventuresterrain.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	901.4 KB 
ID:	53511

Secondly, the countries and their borders, as they sit presently. I can't come up with good names, so those will come later. I'm having trouble figuring out how to distinguish several polities over multiple landmasses without having obnoxious color fills as it is now. If I divided things up more in some areas like I would like to, colors would become very difficult to tell apart. Is there something more elegant I can try?

Name:	Timventuresborders.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	915.8 KB 
ID:	53512

Final question, fonts. The era of this map is high medieval/early Renaissance, but Gothic type fonts clash pretty severely with this map style, in my opinion. Is it better to simply present it with more modern fonts, maybe something formal and serif as a compromise?

Blog Entries

Nice work so far.

I'm not an expert with gimp (yet) but I think if you put in some simple borders like ------ or <><><><> (or anything else really) and put the names of your countries in once you figure them out, the color fill won't be needed as much. You could try to establish some fancy border, but that might not go with your map.

In terms of fonts -->

"Corbel" is a nice smooth font you might be interested in for this style. However, if you want a fancy non-disruptive look, "Blackadder ITC" is always a nice choice.

Much luck to you!
    Last edited by foremost; 04-10-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: It's Blackadder not Blackletter. My bad.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Ok, so I played around a little with labels, etc. Found a font I think works pretty well with the map's style, so here's some different tweaks to look at--tell me what you think!

Name:	Timventureslabels.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1,004.4 KB 
ID:	53554

Three different styles of label I'm contemplating. The curvy names right now have a black glow behind them to make them pop a little more, the central kingdoms (Perchell and Reystoc) have colored glows, which I don't think I like but maybe using the red uniformly might be a decent option next to the black glow. Finally, the southern Al-Irla has no glow, just the font (Segoe UI Light) straight up.

After all that's sorted out, then I need to figure out how much iconography I want on the map, and what to do for borders. I don't think this map is going to be too focused on local details, I mostly wanted a feel for the terrain and such. There will be more localized maps for the regions that will be played in (it's for a campaign I'm running). Maybe just major cities, possibly major routes of travel as well?