Thread: The Western Kingdoms

Blog Entries

Wip The Western Kingdoms

Hey everyone! The following is my most recent and extensive mapping project. I did this with Sharpies (two, since the first got low on ink) on foam posterboard. I divided the map up into tiles, bordered everything, drew the map, and then cut the poster board into the tiles I had made. I scanned this into the computer in nine pieces, and I'm hoping it comes out in formation (correctly).

Please! - Offer your best feedback and constructive criticism, since that's the only way I'm going to get better. I don't mind harsh feedback as long as you have valid points. Support is also welcome. :D

Remember to look at the keys for info, and if you take your time viewing the maps, you may find some interesting objects among the waves and trees! :P

My favorite tiles are 7, 8, & 9, since they have the most action going on. I plan to create a short story line to go along with this (do we call them adventures here?). Notice this is a WIP (for the reason in the next paragraph). When I upload the final, I'll link all the parts of the short adventure to it. They will probably be in 'days' and there will be 5 or 6 of them.

In addition, I bought some colored Sharpies in an attempt to add some color into the maps, but the colored ink was much to dark. Colored pencils also did not work well, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my life shading it. I have not tried to add color to it in the computer, but that's where I am going next!

Enjoy,
    Foremost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	594.1 KB 
ID:	53381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	653.3 KB 
ID:	53382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	53383

Name:	Western Kingdoms 4.jpg 
Size:	709.7 KB 
ID:	53384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 5.jpg 
Size:	805.9 KB 
ID:	53385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 6.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	53386

Name:	Western Kingdoms 7.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	708.3 KB 
ID:	53387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 8.jpg 
Size:	734.7 KB 
ID:	53388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Kingdoms 9.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	763.7 KB 
ID:	53389
    Last edited by foremost; 04-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.

This is so cool, very nice work dude.

Blog Entries

Thanks man!
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Blog Entries

So I need to figure out how to put this in glorious color. Can that be done using Gimp? If anyone has knowledge as how I should go about doing this, sharing your knowledge would be appreciated. I want to keep the hand-drawn effect, so I would add in a simple tan-paperish background and include light colors.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    So I need to figure out how to put this in glorious color. Can that be done using Gimp? If anyone has knowledge as how I should go about doing this, sharing your knowledge would be appreciated. I want to keep the hand-drawn effect, so I would add in a simple tan-paperish background and include light colors.
    The easiest way to colourize a map in either Gimp or Photoshop is to take your lineart, and set the layer mode to Multiple. Then create a new (tan-paperish) background layer BELOW that, and paint on the background layer (or for better control, on additional transparent layers between the background and line-work layers).

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Thanks Rob! I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. If and when i get this done properly, I'll let you guys know!

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    Thanks Rob! I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. If and when i get this done properly, I'll let you guys know!
    Sure - any questions, just give a shout.

-Rob A>