Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geeky Things to do in New York

Default Geeky Things to do in New York

We'll be going to NYC for a week and I wondered if anyone could recommend any 'must see / must do / must eat / must drink' type stuff. I'm 48, like gaming, married with a a 4 year old who I will have in tow while my wife goes to meetings. I like arty / architectural stuff, historical (esp military history) stuff, fantasy and SF.

I've got a trip to 'the Intrepid' slated...can anyone recommend any other things to do and see?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

/rubs hands

Well now, here's a quick list. i'll add other things I can think of as and when.

• Staten Island Ferry - great way to see the Statue of Liberty from the water and the skyline of New York for free. YOu've got to get off at the end so make sure to move quickly so you don't get stranded on Staten Island.
    • The Metropolitan Museum of Art - it's massive and you can get lost in there for days. I'd been there many, many times before I found the full size Egyptian temple in there. Think of it as the British Museum and the National Portrait Gallery rolled into one. Note that it's a 'suggested donation' to get in - so you can pay a dollar and get in. It's part of it's charter, so don't feel you need to pay their suggested donation of $20.
    Brooklyn Children's Museum - we don't have kids, but our friends who do, swear by this one.
    The High Line - beautiful raised park on an old elevated railroad in the heart of the city. It's close to the Intrepid, but it's also a good way to see some of the city with a little perspective.
    • Right beside the High Line - Chelsea Market - think Borough Market with artisinal food places. Great for a coffee (or an amazing Jacques Torres hot chocolate). It's a good place to warm up before/after the High Line (though don't rely on it for bathrooms - the lines are almost always huge).
    Animazing Gallery - they have a wide rage of work on the walls, but if you hint you're interested in purchasing something, they have flat files full of original Disney plates, Tim Burton sketches and more. It's a treasure trove.
    Museum of Art and Design - they usually have fun architecture/design work and there's a great cafe at the top with Park views.
    • Central Park (of course) - with specific destinations like Strawberry Fields.

Depending on where you're staying we can also provide restaurant recommendations. Just let me know - I think you've got my email?

I'd also offer up a couple things - if you have limited time, take the Speedboat Tour which is a hoot (though could be too intense for a 4 year old)
    Also, right next to the departure for that is the Sea Air and Space Museum where you can walk through a sub, as well as see the rest of the museum (which is on an aircraft carrier). There is also a space shuttle there, but not sure about that as it was not open to the public when I went.
    We also did the Rockefeller Center Tour for a great look at the architecture, art, sculpture and history of the building... and a glimps into the cold war era and politics to boot. Even if you don't take the tour, go to the Top of the Rock Observation Deck as it has a better view than the empire state building (IMOO) - as there are two major NYC landmarks you can see from the Rock that you can't see from the Empire States building... namely the Empire states Building, and Central Park!

-Rob A>

Thanks Rob. The Sea Air and Space Museum is definitely on the cards. Am putting the Rockerfeller centre on the cards too. I'll keep the speedboat tour as a back up!

Go take a tour of the New York Federal Reserve and see all their gold down in the catacombs.

Visiting the New York Fed - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Perhaps you could drop by that Museum of Digital Art that showcased several maps from here a while back? Just so you can tell us what it is like.

I had a top time in New York and Greenwich. Got back to London today.

On my Geeklist I managed to:

1. meet Torstan
    2. Go to the 'Compleat Gamer' Gameshop (with Torstan) - which had one of his maps posted in the doorway!!
    3. Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
    4. To to the top of the Rockerfeller Centre

Other memorable visits were to the Highline and the Chelsea market.

Didn't manage to get to the USS Intrepid or see the WTC memorial or do the Staten Island ferry but we will go back to NYC - we just loved it.

The food in NYC is just ultimate - every meal was more than delicious. The people we met were really nice too. New Yorkers are a really good bunch of people.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Glad you made it back safely! It was great to meet you and show you a little of the city. Looking forward to the return trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast