Thread: Adventuring Party in need of some direction... (pun intended)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question Adventuring Party in need of some direction... (pun intended)

My friends and I have recently returned to Dungeons and Dragons after 20+ years away from the system, I being the only one who has played it before. It became obvious that previous experience with DnD made no difference with 4e as the changes in the system were great. At any rate, I have begun building a campaign that seems to be coming along nicely and starting looking for maps that could serve as a overview map for the region I have placed them. Many of the maps on the site are already labeled which is difficult to work with since some of my places are already named. Is there a way to narrow my searches to maps that have not been labeled? Being new (read: I have no idea how) to making maps, there is no way I could make an appropriate map in the time I have left before I need itas I'm sure these maps take hours to days of work or longer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hey,

You have a request map section where you maybe ask for something that fit your campaign setting...

The forum where you can request a map(s) for your setting: MapMaking Requests

And the sticky notes you should read before requesting a map in the above forum: Guidelines for Requesting Maps

It's generally a good idea, and especially helpful to prospective cartographers, if you can provide a sketch of where things should be placed on your map, and a photo link of the map style(s) you're most interested in.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I'm sorry if there is some confusion. I am not looking to have a map made. I was simply trying to find a method to locate maps that already exist but are not labeled. I actually dusted off my sketchbook and pencils to try some of the techniques I've seen there. If that is unfeasible, then I will move on to having one made. Sorry for any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Martin View Post
    I'm sorry if there is some confusion. I am not looking to have a map made. I was simply trying to find a method to locate maps that already exist but are not labeled. I actually dusted off my sketchbook and pencils to try some of the techniques I've seen there. If that is unfeasible, then I will move on to having one made. Sorry for any trouble.
    This thread has a few

You can also browse finished map thumbnails using this link to quickly locate ones with no labels, but please follow the links into the threads and respect any usage restrictions that artists may have.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

Another thing you might try is contacting the original cartographer via PM if you find a map you like. They may have a version without labels they'd be willing to share.