Thread: [WIP] Training wheels: My First Map

Default [WIP] Training wheels: My First Map

(click to embiggen)

So I downloaded GIMP and Inkscape and lots of tutorials, and I drew a continent that looks vaguely like a melting space invader.

Opinions, thoughts, advice and abuse all equally welcome.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Looking very good for a first attempt Have some rep for the Map-In-The-First-Post thingy

As for critique, not much I can point to, except the res is quite small and it is hard to see the details. The one thing that I do see, is maybe bring the foothills more to the fore. As is it seems more like badlands around the mountains than actual hills. But then again, that just might be the lack of details due to the res.

A suggestion I can make is that when you are doing a post, below the text box there is a "Go Advanced" button. Clicking that will allow you to upload your map and creates a thumbnail for it too. I cannot remember offhand what the size restrictions are, but I believe that it is in the range of 4meg depending on the format. Someone with a better idea of the requirements should be able to correct me on this though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Nice start! Welcome to the Guild - we're glad you're willing to contribute from the start.

My wild impression of the mountains/ foothills is that on this world all mountains are made of steel, and are surrounded by belts of rust in which nothing will grow ;-). Not that it's easy to depict some elevations with vegetation and some bare, but that's the way mountains ARE, ja?

The rivers all make sense, though they and the coast are a teensy bit pixelated. Did you get an idea working on this one whether your computer can handle a bigger/ higher resolution canvas?

Welcome to the Guild PapersAndPaychecks! Nice job for a first attempt. I agree with my Korash and JB regarding the Hills coloring, and indeed it would be nice to see a larger res version of this map. However I think you've done very well for your first map. The compass, the scale and the borders all turned out great, and, aside from the foothills which need a little work, you did a nice job of coloring this map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I've obviously made some kind of error. Doesn't it enlarge for you all when you click on it?

Quote Originally Posted by PapersAndPaychecks View Post
    I've obviously made some kind of error. Doesn't it enlarge for you all when you click on it?
    You posted a photobucket link - which many member are not able/choose not to to click on. Had you attached the map to your post (hosted here at the guild) it would generate a thumbnail and link to the full size image.

There is nothing wrong with off-site hosting of images, but we have both the storage and bandwidth here so it is not an issue for us.

-Rob A>

Oh okay. I was hesitant to use 3 megabytes of your bandwidth on my first post; but now I know better.