Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The City-kingdoms of the Haréshk by vorropohaiah

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    what exactly do you mean by blazons, i was under the impression a blazon is the iconography itself?
    A blazon is a formal description of a shield and any attachments (crown, supporters, etc.). It's used so that an artist can read it and know exactly what the contents of the shield look like without ever seeing the shield.

For example...

• Alamut: Argent, standing atop a tower tripled-towered Or, a lion passant Gules.
      I couldn't tell if the lion was facing the viewer (guardant) or had two tails (queue-fourché).
    • Arraton: Argent, a chevron Gules between two escallops of the first and a bull's skull Sable.
      This shield actually breaks the color/tincture rule. The rules of heraldry state that you never put a metal on a metal or a color on a color (unless they're labeled "proper"). I also didn't really know what the thing at the bottom was.
    • Fala: Per pale, Argent, three scythes Sable; Gules, a cockatrice of the first.
    • Faulala: Orange, two scythes Sable in saltire charged with a laurel Vert, atop an escroll Tawny.
      Breaks the color rule.
    • Luraiel: Argent, a tree Sable; on a chief Vert, three plates.
      A roundel Argent = a plate. There's no need for a color in the blazon.
    • Orul: Vert, three roses Gules above a double-headed eagle displayed Argent.
      Breaks the color rule.
    Last edited by Adolon; 05-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I would add to your Rep if I could, somehow the button is missing..?

Anyway, where can I read something about those Rules and descriptions? And would you mind helping me with my Heraldics?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post

Anyway, where can I read something about those Rules and descriptions? And would you mind helping me with my Heraldics?
    It might be because I've only just joined the website that you cannot give me rep.

There are a few sources I use for making and describing heraldry. One is a book I own but you can read it online called Boutell's Heraldry. It's a book from 1890. Another is A Complete Guide to Heraldry from 1909 available on Wikipedia. The last is a website that has many, many examples including blazons of many shields throughout the world from a book called A Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry from 1894. I don't use the glossary as much but only if I need to see how other people wrote their blazons with different shapes.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The rep button never appears in the CG choice section

This is a realy broad field....

This is a realy broad field....
    It's had hundreds of years of new material added on to it. It certainly is huge and a science all its own. I don't mind helping you if you need help describing/creating a shield.

Let's open a thread in the General discussions, so we can leave this thread.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

@adolon - thats great. I was awar that i was breaking the metal/colour rules on some of the shields, though im not that botheed about it as i figured its a different world, so might have different rules.

The blazons are really cool, and would make a great addition to my encyclopaedia, though as the heraldry is visible on the map i dont think theyre needed on this particular map. Thanks for the feedback though, you just gave me a few thousand words to add my notes, which is always good

I made a thread under General and Miscellaneous Mapping for heraldry.

Wonderful heraldic, nice map, congratulation!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast