Thread: The World of Asgoth

Default The World of Asgoth

This map was created for Kevin Grande (Nazaire) who wanted a map for his homebrew fantasy setting. There is a short writeup on his blog about how he ended up finding me to create his map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asgoth_final.jpg 
Views:	1577 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	53465

The desire was a map similar to a previous work so that is what we ended up with!

The land was outlined in gimp from a sketch provided, indicating basic terrain location. I added detail the coastlines, roughening them up and making them more erratic in places. I took this outline into Inkscape to draw the rivers using tapered stroke spiro-splines and lakes, then brought this back into Gimp. The main map consist of about 25 layers of blocked in colours, and masked texture layers, with a good helping of noise and hand painted shading shadows and highlights.

The icons were created in Inkscape, along with all the labels, the title block, and compass rose. The font is University Roman Bold. All those were exported out as png images that were composited onto the main map in Gimp.

Enjoy!

-Rob A>

This is a very attractive map Rob! I love the colors and textures. The font was a great choice for the map as well. If I had one small nitpick it would be that some of the arctic texture you are using seems to be covering over the fjords in the north. Otherwise, lovely work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Nice map, Rob. Looks like a fun world for adventure.