Thread: April 2013 Challenge Entry -- Bagsnubxesorosmlo

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Default April 2013 Challenge Entry -- Bagsnubxesorosmlo

For this challenge, I chose the first randomly generated world DF gave me, Bagsnubxesorosmlo (try making the x a voicless velar fricative). I have made a few maps, but never entered a challenge before this. For this round, I wanted to make it a little bit more exciting. Everything on the map is randomly generated using DF. I have not and will not add anything if I can help it. This means no changing names, no adding civilizations, and most of all no messing with the terrain.

April 29th Update: Changed the borders to accommodate the Goblins (the small text Isolated regions). I also named a few large terrains and added a few important cities where battles or other events had taken place. Also, I changed the Ocean a bit, to hide the brush strokes and make the depth ratio a bit more realistic (I still adhered to the terrain of the world gen, but I changed the tolerances for my color scheme)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region2withImportantCities.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	817.5 KB 
ID:	54087

April 26th Update: I added forests and marshes. Its starting to get a bit detail-heavy, but it still understandable.

Name:	Region2_WithTerrain.jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	732.1 KB 
ID:	53951

April 24th Update: I finally figured out borders and countries, but I'm not too happy with it yet. I posted two maps, one with the borders marked along with a political overlay, and one with just the overlay.
    [spoiler]

With the borders:

Name:	CountriesReg2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	53911
    Without the border:

Name:	Countreswithoutborders.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	53912

For anyone interested, they way I did the political overlay was take the name of the country in the tongue of the race that lived there. Sometimes two or three countries were so intermixed that I just joined them together, and the countries became regions in a larger state. Occasionally, I would run into an exclave, and in those cases I either gave it the name of the largest city (or, if the excalve was a forest, the name of the forest) and then chose to use either the ethnic name or the English name depending on what sounded cooler. Personally, I think Hammerfrogs sounds way better than Onguihhi.

First update

Here is the world as it stands:

Name:	world_map-region2-125--10081.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	53468

Name:	world_graphic-region2-125--10081.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	53466

And here is what I've done with it. I've stuck with a minimalist style. I've done only the rivers categorized as 'streams' or larger, but they are still a bit heavy. I have only the major cities done, and I'm not perfectly happy with the look of it all, but it works.

Name:	Region2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	53467

I know the names are a bit funny, and I haven't figured out how to do them yet. Should I put them in English? Or should I keep the foreign language that DF gives me? Any ideas?

Next I'm going to try and flesh out the towns and country borders, and maybe add a bit of terrain.[/SIZE]

April 16th Update: (I added the terrain, but I'm still trying to figure out borders)

Name:	Region2withWorld.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	53680
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region2withImportantCities.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	770.5 KB 
ID:	54086  
    Last edited by Javert; 04-30-2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: And fixed the Water