Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: WIP: Birdseye

All city mappers are crazy. Maybe I'm just a little crazier than the others.

This city reminds me a lot of Lordran! (derp souls)

Guild Journeyer

Very nice detail on the scaffolding, it almost reads as some kind of architectural ivy creeping over the whole bridge. Pretty cool.

I know this is still a work in progress but one thing I noticed was your stair stringers? (the diagonally moving pieces bracketing your stair treads) looked a little stripey due possibly to textures that need to be realigned. If the stringers are components it might be worth 'changing axes' (an option in the right-click menu when a component is selected), so the texture shows better.

Still eagerly anticipating a view of all the pieces put together!

Glad you like the scaffolding. I see what you mean about the stringers; they do look strange. Unfortunately, modelling the district is taking all my time, and, frankly, textures are pretty low priority (maybe I can persuade Katto to take over the texturing ).

I'll try and get a quick mockup of the complete city in my next update, but you might find it disappointing. So far there is only one district that is complete (Garden District), one more that is near completion (Bridge District), and a few others that I have started, but have a long way to go. I'm also thinking that, once I finish the Bridge District, I will post it as a standalone Finished Map. The reason is that I'm going travelling later this year, and so won't be able to work on Birdseye for several months. Before heading off I want to leave Birdseye with a bit of a bang (I do intend on finishing the city, though, even if it takes a lifetime; which it probably will).

@Scoopz: I personally don't see the similarity between Birdseye and Lordran (which I'd never heard of before), but thanks for mentioning it.

THW

You did all that in Sketchup?! The biggest thing I've made in that was a model of my living room to mess around with different decoration options. I doubt I'd ever even consider attempting anything more complex than that... These are ridiculously awesome.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hey THW, I clicked the link in your signature and ended up here. Did you ever finish this project? It looks absolutely crazy... and just gorgeous!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Perhaps an update on the Bridge District? Please...

Hmm, I have been feeling the itch to get back to work on Birdseye...

Sadly I lost most of my old art files when I moved from Australia to Europe. I did manage to salvage most of Birdseye though (thanks especially to you, Katto ) but the scaffolding around the Bridge is all gone.

Don't expect updates any time soon, but you *can* expect updates eventually

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567