Thread: Fortress "nice and safe"

Map Fortress "nice and safe"

I haven't seen many floor plans for building on here. I have a very good medium sized castle/fortress that is designed for a hill top. The castle was part of a story I have in my book. I don't have any backstory for this map other than the structure by name appears in my book. It's the royal house of a mountain kingdom that gets invaded, but the story is vague and has tons of room for develpment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-17 Gurabi Gahina Fortress.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	53528

I like that, it feels very fortressy and imposing. I only have a few suggestions. If it's built with the expectation of siege, you might wanna indicate a well and cistern for water. Also I'd assign the dungeon rooms on one of the sides of that floor for supplies like food and booze.

Also if you want to go more castle-like, you could make those two side staircases into spiral staircases inside those two internal towers they are next to. It'd also mean attackers who break into the central courtyard would need to breach the second set of doors instead of just ducking under the arcade and heading up the stairs on either side.

Thanks for the input. I'll change a few things on it to make it even safer to hide in my fortress. I think I'm going to add doors to my plans and put heavy doors in the arcades. I think the basic design is pretty good so far. I think I'm going to leave the style as it is to make it look like a castle from a civiliation that is just starting to build stone fortifications.

The race this castle was built by is one of the races in my world I haven't really developed yet. I think they may develop in a way that makes them similar to Tolkein's dwarves. I should try to figure out how to render underground structures with the style I'm using to draft my ideas. I might render this castle on paper and add much more, but I do have a lot of projects in the works for my main race the Rokat in which my city maps are for.