Thread: First dungeon

Wip First dungeon

Hi again!

Tomorrow I'm running my next 4e session, and the vict... ehem! the players are entering their first dungeon. I tried to make it on photoshop instead of hand-drawing it in a piece of paper as usual. It's not finished yet, but here's the WIP.

Comments needed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	4475  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm liking this a lot, the torches show exactly what the lighting conditions are and shadows in the nooks and crannies. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanka View Post
    Hi again!

Tomorrow I'm running my next 4e session, and the vict... ehem! the players are entering their first dungeon. I tried to make it on photoshop instead of hand-drawing it in a piece of paper as usual. It's not finished yet, but here's the WIP.

Comments needed!

Hmmm.. cool... Any chance of turning off the lights and posting that version for people who use VTT's with vision based lighting?

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sure! Do you mean something like that?

Oh, and what's VTT by the way?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	4480  

Post VTTs

VTTs are Virtual Table Tops. Internet programs that support playing pen and paper games across the net.

Some names to google include:

MapTool, Fantasy Grounds, Battlegrounds, Grip, OpenRPG. I'm not familiar with most of these.

Maptool is Open Source and free (http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro) and well worth your support.

Fantasy Grounds 2
    (http://forums.fantasygrounds.com/community/) is my personal VTT of choice. It is not open source or free but I like it very much.

I'm not familiar with the others, or the extents of the market. I know WOTC is working on something too. Nonetheless, I'd start with these two because they deserve your support.

Sigurd

Thanks for the info! It sounds really interesting. I hope the one I uploaded will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanka View Post
    Thanks for the info! It sounds really interesting. I hope the one I uploaded will work fine.

I didn't think about it at the time, but you probably would need to remove the numbers also for VTT play and double the size of the base map. For most VTT play, the expectation is that the will be somewhere around 50px or more per 5 foot square. Most VTT users prefer 100,150 or 200 px per 5 foot so you can really zoom in and see the details easily.

Also, though primarily intended for internet play originally, many players are now connecting to a VTT at the face to face table (each player with a laptop) or using an external monitor to show everyone at the table the players "view" of the map. One good thing about everyone having their own machine at the table is that some VTT's (Maptool that I know of) allow EACH player their own view. This means that the first one around a corner in a dungeon is the only one who will "see" the trolls standing there. There is now a forum here if you want to check it out where some people give some advice on making maps for VTT's if your interested.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.