Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have any tips for naming?

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by lokiie1984 View Post
    I could see that being handy for some things. If i need character based names *NPC name* Castle or something.

However i could see you taking what you have there and adapting it to landmarks and locations. Would be pretty handy to have then. For example taking the German word for high, the Irish word for pass and then canyon or something. Could be neat.

That's not to say that your generator isn't useful as it is. I will save it for when i get more into the stories. I'm always looking for easy to use character names.
    I suggested it based on the idea above about naming things after their discoverer / builder. Given it's people's-names basis it's not going to do much for replacing words like bridge or mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas768 View Post
    I suggested it based on the idea above about naming things after their discoverer / builder. Given it's people's-names basis it's not going to do much for replacing words like bridge or mountain.
    Yea i can see it be handy for the human areas. I think they would name things after specific people. I'm kind of doing the same for the mountains (being named by the dwarves) taking features i like and throwing them into a dwarf translator. That way i don't have to wrack my brain too hard lol.

For example, one of the mountain ranges is a place they lived for a while but then left due to a lack of ore. I translated Dead Mountain to Niikor Onol or another where they live now is by an inland sea so named it Udar Onol. I may play with the lettering some but i like the idea.

How do these names sound?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map land mark names.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	53570

Of course my artistic talent is so bad that i have to add a translation.

Amat Arel is the giant inland sea nestled into a mountain valley. It river feeds the human capital city, which is on the coast where the river hits the sea.

Onol is mountain, so each of those are mountain ranges. They were named by the dwarves, and then Bitter Peaks was named by the barbarians that live in the north.

Further south, we have The Sand Sea, with the "Vanishing River" that disperses into the sand and then to the east, the Oasis River that is diverted from the Misty River (that name will probably change) and it flows along an old river bed, ending up in the Oasis Canyon, which is also a trade post. From there we go south into Wood Elf territory, and a bunch of unpronounceable names.

Alust'linae is a decent sized lake, fed by the vanishing river (it goes underground and comes up in or near the lake) The others are pretty clear i think. The rain forest itself is called Atara'lath.

Then to west is the Halfling farmlands which is fed by an irrigation river. (As a side note i used live next to one of those, we moved after a couple kids drowned and the town wouldn't front the money to build a fence)

As for river placement, do they work or am i breaking too many rules?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map land mark names.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	53567  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12