Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torn Island - a first low res draft

Guild Novice

Is there a possibility of you bringing it into a vector program and tracing over it? If you have Adobe Illustrator maybe try the live trace feature as a start??

Quote Originally Posted by WoroRelu View Post
    Is there a possibility of you bringing it into a vector program and tracing over it? If you have Adobe Illustrator maybe try the live trace feature as a start??
    No I dont have that but perhaps Inkscape would do?

And further on the topic; which resolution should I aim for in a hires version? If I should ever do a printout it would probably as most be at the size of A3 (297 mm × 420 mm).

I am planning on having quite a detailed map and my computer is relatively competent (i5 2500K, GTX570, SSD and 16GB RAM - I dont know which part that is the bottleneck) but there are probably practical limits.

And also; I did a little frame using Arsheesh guide. I think I messed up somewhere because it is not as pretty as that in the guide However it will do for now; I will practice more on frames later on.

The next step is to add more details to the map and a compass and such; hence the displaced positioning of the island.

Regards
    -wildcode

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TornIslandFrame.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	53849

Guild Novice

Hmm.. whenever I was working on stuff to be printed (keep in mind this was 5 years ago - i don't know any standards now) 100 dpi was good for a general color print, 300 dpi was good for a high quality print and continued editing. might wait for another opinion or two besides mine though, or search the forum. and inkscape should be fine, i just don't know if inkscape has a feature similar to the live trace feature (I'm lazy, so I preferred the route that had the machine doing as much work as possible) although learning how to do vector linework is a good practice in itself - when I tutored in illustrator one of the first exercises we had them do before starting their own projects were learning how to manipulate the bezier curves, and then value differentiation/mapping of grayscale images, to better their ability to distinguish and identify lighting/shading differences. We would actually use an old grey-scale image of bezier himself.

Quote Originally Posted by WoroRelu View Post
    Hmm.. whenever I was working on stuff to be printed (keep in mind this was 5 years ago - i don't know any standards now) 100 dpi was good for a general color print, 300 dpi was good for a high quality print and continued editing. might wait for another opinion or two besides mine though, or search the forum. and inkscape should be fine, i just don't know if inkscape has a feature similar to the live trace feature (I'm lazy, so I preferred the route that had the machine doing as much work as possible) although learning how to do vector linework is a good practice in itself - when I tutored in illustrator one of the first exercises we had them do before starting their own projects were learning how to manipulate the bezier curves, and then value differentiation/mapping of grayscale images, to better their ability to distinguish and identify lighting/shading differences. We would actually use an old grey-scale image of bezier himself.
    Ok, good I'll promise not to hold this against you I will do some searching too.

Thank you for your insights; I have yet to get bored by tracing so Ill try the tedious method first.

Now I am working on getting map details as names, distance ruler and such. I failed doing a compass so I scrapped that for now

This is the work so far; I think it is tricky to have a natural looking map with name plates on it; but I am fairly satisfied with the city names. This is where my inexperience shines through so all advice is welcome.

I have added som griddy-shady-thing where the cities are; but I will try to enhance them in some way.

Well; here goes:

Name:	TornIslandFrameNames.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	53961
    Last edited by wildcode; 04-27-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typos

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Would makes more sense if your scale bar match the scale border...

Here's a quick and simple compass that you can use. (Or anyone else, if they want: I hereby release this file, which represents 5 entire minutes of my time, into the public domain for anyone to use without restriction).

Compass.svg

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Would makes more sense if your scale bar match the scale border...
    You mean the color/texture? Yeah, I was thinking of doing a wooden frame in the same style so I will do that.

The scale "ruler" (it is unclear if it was both color and scales you meant) are half that of the border; and the position is not final. It is now right aligned with the border scale (second from right) and it don't look good. I will lengthen it by one half of the borders so there is a better alignment. And try some new positioning.

Thanks for the feedback!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I meant the size of the scales, different between scale bar and scale border. So yea, they should be the same length to serve their purpose

Quote Originally Posted by PapersAndPaychecks View Post
    Here's a quick and simple compass that you can use. (Or anyone else, if they want: I hereby release this file, which represents 5 entire minutes of my time, into the public domain for anyone to use without restriction).

Compass.svg
    Thanks, I'll play around with it to see if I can get the colors right. I'll post a small update here where I did a quickfix of things. Still have to fix with the frame/border to match the wooden look. And fiddle with tha compass. And bits and pieces

Name:	TornIslandFrameNamesv2.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	53968

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast