Thread: Another Thread Titled Hello

Guild Novice

Default Another Thread Titled Hello

I really didn't know what to put as the title. Hi, I chose WoroRelu as a name because it seemed fairly issue-free and wasn't tied to anyone else as far as I could determine. I'm a community college student who is finishing up transfer to a 4 year university as a Geography major, preferably in some form of integrated geography study, but if not I'll likely focus on either GIS/Remote Sensing or physical geography. I've always loved maps, but it's only until recently I've been exposed to the study of geography as an academic field, and when I accidentally earned my Associates in it, I figured it's obviously interesting enough for me to keep studying. Other than that, my interests include music (I used to play clarinet in both classical and jazz settings in high school and early college), Gaming of the video game and tabletop/larp kind, and reading - though I mostly restrict myself to various genres of fantasy, and outside of that almost exclusively to fiction.

As I stated in my biography in my profile, I've decided to pick up fantasy/fictional cartography to combine both my interests in gaming and fantasy literature, and the techniques, concepts, and experience I pick up as a geography major - ideally this will let me focus on my interests and develop skills or understanding that is applicable to my professional career down the road. I don't normally write this formally (though I do tend to write long walls of text - I'm sorry), but I have a bad habit of trying to come off more educated/intelligent than I am, so sorry if this annoys anyone - I'm aware I can sound pretentious sometimes.

I've admired the community and lurked on and off since I was 16 (I'm now days away from being 22), so that hopefully says something great about the Guild as a whole, and the esteem with which I hold you all.

_Edit_ I forgot to mention - I suck at drawing, and have kind of a personal issue with it as a result, so most of my work will likely be utilizing ProFantasy's software (I impulse-bought CC3 and FT3). I have experience in utilizing Adobe's Creative Suite (4 years study in highschool and then 3 years tutoring both college and high school students) but as I am not a pirate nor financially well off, I only have GIMP and Inkscape available to me on my personal machine. One thing I'm having difficulty with is independently moving the direction points on an anchor point, as I don't know the keyboard shortcuts/hotkeys for Inkscape.
    Last edited by WoroRelu; 04-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Welcome to the Guild WoroRelu! Glad you decided to delurk after all these years. Since you've been around for so long, I'm sure you are probably already aware of the tutorials we have on offer here (some of which involve FT3 and CC3). There are some members here that do excellent work with these software. Look forward to getting to know you more. It will be interesting to see how your academic study influences your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thank you for the warm welcoming. I am aware of the tutorials, though I haven't had a chance to look through them - or to really look through the documentation for the software I purchased beyond simple browsing. As I feel I can learn the concepts better through focused/themed approaches, I'm hopefully going to be posting mostly small maps dedicated to concepts or themes that I'm learning or want to explore further, though my Uni education on the subject won't be beginning until the Fall, so most of the stuff I'd upload before then will likely be software exploration and such. I've got so many aspects I want to explore and I'm still trying to figure if I want to start with political-style maps, or if I want to start by playing around in FT3 and trying to make realistic non-earth planets. There are just so many things to try out.