Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Inktense Watercolor Map

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    just some hand-written notes in small paragraphs in blank areas of the page, describing particular features or details of the map or what the artist thought while drawing it.
    I like that idea. A lot. It'd be fun to do a whole fictional travel journal like that. I just can't think what to write.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I have been working at my Watercolor lately as well. I'll post up something in another thread since who knows what we can all learn from one another. Patience however....now that is the story of watercolor from what I've experienced.

I'm not an expert by any means but man, you just have to go with light coloring and gradually build it up or it's going to go to mush.

The other thing I am working at doing myself is thinking way ahead. I think this might help with labels too. While you can just write over the top of the painted image and it will probably look great. It might look even better if you thought ahead as to where you wanted those labels and left the paper white in those areas. Or maybe putting down the labels first and then painting around them? I don't know, I haven't tried it both ways yet myself but I can tell ya I've always come to a place when doing watercolor where I say, "Huh, I should have thought of that ahead of time and planned this out better."

I do love the challenge though. Keep up the good work, I'm loving what you are doing.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jax! I look forward to seeing yours I'm posting another sketchbook map in progress today (illustrated pen/paper style), but I'm also toiling away at this one too, and the pencil map. Not far enough along to take more pictures yet.

Hopefully by the time I've finished this watercolor map I'll have a better idea of how much pigment to use in each brush stroke to get the effect I want. I'm much more used to acrylics and building up the lights instead of the darks.

Yes, the thinking ahead. Hindsight is easier, but I have had to do a ton of planning and research with the Island map I'm working on. And a ton of revisions when the results don't look as good as I imagined them. Hopefully the thinking ahead will get easier with practice too. I really wish I could have an undo button on hand for when the pen slips or I make a stupid mistake for not double-checking my notes. Gah! No... I must have patience. Patience is the key. Patience...

Here's a very small update. Mostly just trying to define the inland side of the volcano and put some more depth on the steeper slopes. It takes a while because I'm busy and when I find a moment to dab at it I have to wait for the paper to dry again so I can see the actual result. Well, I wanted to work on my patience. Sigh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchbook map wip2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	53674

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12