Thread: Hello all

Guild Applicant

Default Hello all

This website is a wonderful place that has inspired a hobby that is rapidly developing into an obsession. Seriously I began trying to hand draw maps and when looking for methods came across this place, little did I know how much of my time this would take up. within around three days of stumbling upon this site I was converted to digitally drawing my maps. I call it digitally drawing because it sounds better than "Gimping". Anyhow attached you will find my first computerized map ever and I would love opinions and ideas, especially pointers towards ideas of how to draw a desert in the middle of the continent ( the bit that looks brownish) as well as ideas on how to create a volcano that looks okay. just pointers on how to make it look good really.

Thanks for reading

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before Forest Flattening.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	53586

Blog Entries

Hey, welcome to the guild!

I guess, for tradition, I am supposed to say the following "We're the mappiest place on the web!"

Your first map looks nice so far. I don't use computer programs yet, so I won't advise you on the desert, but I can say your mountains look a little "plopped down". In other words, it doesn't flow with the extremely flat terrain next to it. I'd suggest adding some little hills/ripples on all of the land to give it a more natural look.

Again, welcome!

-fm
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Applicant

Thanks, I agree with you about the mountains and I am currently trying to figure out how to add a little grit if you know what I mean

Hi there Metisan, welcome to the Guild! Hmm, did you by chance use my tutorial for the trees? If so, they look a bit flat for some reason. I'm wondering if you might accidentally have bump mapped the wrong layer or something. If you didn't use my tutorial, you may wish to look at it (it's in my link), I think it will help give your forests a bit more depth. As to the desert, well there are tons of different ways to do this. Probably the simplest way would be to add a new layer, use a fuzzy brush to paint a tan color onto the area you want the desert and then play around with layer modes and opacity settings till you get something you like. You could also find a texture of sand or dunes or something and, on a new layer, use your clone tool (again with a fuzzy brush) to paint in the texture, then once again, play with the layer mode and/or opacity till you are happy.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Applicant

Thank you I shall be sure to check it out =)