Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shikodu/Zigoto Map

I just took a really good picture of my map with my friend's camera. This will probably be the last picture for a long time. I thought the school and a mansion was enough to make a noticable difference, but those were just a drop in the bucket. I might just finish making all the pieces and get the housing I have done drawn on the map. I think the mansions, commercial and industrial is going to take the longest, so it will be last. This is just the core of the city. I think I should find out how big the finish product is going to be. I did a small farming town and the green really made it look awesome, so I think it would work in this case to continue the map until I have a ring of farms around the city and have the city framed by these green patches of farm land.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shikodu - Full Map 6.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	55540

I’m just going to pencil in all the map pages. I knew my project was going to be huge, but this is insane. I’m starting to work my way around the core map and getting in the streets and building lots. I think I will have it finished within a week and I will start to ink in building footprints. I just want to have all the pieces cut out and started. Shikodu is bigger than I thought. Here are some photos of the map with me next to it to show how big it really is. I’m 5 foot 6 inches tall. The map is 75 inches long.

Name:	Shikodu - Compared to Artist 1.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	55664
    Here's a close up of the new pages I added over the last two days. They will be pencil until I get all the pages cut and fitted to the map. I think I will have 18 inches more length and another row of pages along the back to cover the hills that will be added when the infrastructure is done.

Name:	Shikodu - North Village 1.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	55665

I decided to abandon this project. I realize the detail I want on this map is something I will never achieve unless I just start making random shapes rather than floor plans for each building. I might restart this map on a new scale and just do floor plans for key locations like schools and notable houses, the stuff that might be needed to make a campaign on the map. This is ridiculous, I should have known by the silence that this was an impossible project. Anyway, I will start a new map hopefully in November at a new scale and a whole new idea on how to present it. I think I will do a book format for this project showing different social classes homes and a few sample work places.

It's understandable, but disappointing. The reason being that it's always inspiring to see someone take on an unholy amount of work and just slog away at it. It's also good to step back for some projects for a while too though, so I'll just say that I hope you eventually come back to this at some point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12