Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land of Ghnom - Fantasy map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Land of Ghnom - Fantasy map

Hi all,

Here's my last work, a commisionned piece made for Eric Chauvay, a french novelist. The map ( color and greyscale versions) depicts a small regional area, the Land of Ghnom. Size is 1748x2480px.

Comments are welcome, hope you'll like it!

Feel free to rate, rep or run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghnom2.jpg 
Views:	1573 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	53657

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghnom2 grey.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	53658
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Hi all,

Here's my last work, a commisionned piece made for Eric Chauvay, a french novelist. The map ( color and greyscale versions) depicts a small regional area, the Land of Ghnom. Size is 1748x2480px.

Comments are welcome, hope you'll like it!

Feel free to rate, rep or run away

Attachment 53613

Attachment 53614
    English answer : i love your work, fine, well colored. Nice work Max !

French : Que dire sinon que c'est un travail très joliment réalisé, précis et dont les couleurs sont fort bien choisies... J'adore tes cartes Max et je suis toujours impressionné par leur précision et la masse de travail que cela doit te demander.

Thanks much Nyogtha
    French : La quantité de travail est toujours différente d'une carte à l'autre. Sur celle-ci, l'avantage est sa petite taille et relativement peu de détails

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Man the gray scale is simple amazing, looks like you got it from a book page Congratulations for one more nice work.

fell rep'ed by me, cant do it right now

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    Man the gray scale is simple amazing, looks like you got it from a book page
    Since it may be used by the novelist for a book, that sounds pretty good Thanks Aquarits, comment appreciated!

Fantastic work as usual Max, I'd say the novelist got his money's worth and then some.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ghnom, nom, nom!

Which translated from anglo-lolcat means roughly: Tasty! I.e. delightful stuff.

I find one teensy fault... With your descriptions. Normally I have no problem with even rough English (and yours isn't rough; it's quite good). After all, the map's the main thing. And this is a subtle distinction, but every time you present something as your "last map" my heart momentarily stops, and I start to think "NOOO! He can't stop mapping!" It's just for a second, and the adrenaline jolt might be good for me, but it's scary. ;-)

While I do go all persnickety-editor on coworkers, here I'll just explain that while 'last' does mean exactly what you mean for it to ( and I'll almost guarantee 99.995% of your Guild readers understand perfectly), it could also carry the connotation that this will be your last map, ever. Which we of the Guild would be heartbroken to hear! :-). "Latest" would both mean what you meant AND imply that it is the most recent in a long series, which would please us greatly!

So to leave off with the tongue-in-cheek terminology diversion, I agree the grayscale version will look great in a book. Whether it will all be legible will depend on the quality of the printing - a few of the labels are low contrast with their backgrounds. I'm thinking the forest names, perhaps a few of the town names on light textures - the runes beneath Wergon?

I love how you've done both the mountains and the forests - both jump off the page nicely.

Drat - can't rep you again, yet.
    Last edited by jbgibson; 04-15-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Nice looking map, Max. Nice mountain style.

For me the forests are a bit of a problem though. I thought at first that you had used TreeThing but on looking closely I can see that there are lots of "misplaced" trees where you have placed a brush so it overlaps another but is higher up which just looks wrong. If you're doing an isometric style forest using brushes then you kind of have to start at the top and work your way down or it really betrays the maps digital origins.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks much guys! Yes I wanted to try some new mountains ( wait...it seems that I'm saying that on each new map ) and I'm pretty satisfied on how it went. I guess I'll use them again on larger maps with biggest ranges.
    @jb: ah yea in french we have only one word for the two meanings "last" and "latest" Thanks for pointing it out, I'll keep it in mind for the newt threads, I don't want to make you guys think I'm done with maps
    @Ramah: **** you're totally right on the forests, Ididn't upload the right version! On that first one, for some reason I found out that my forests patterns have a bit of transparency on some parts and so that came to overlap. I changed my patterns on the latests version and fixed it (which was mostly an issue on the biggest forests) I'll update with the right version tonight. * Edit* : done.
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast