Thread: A single afternoon dungeon crawl

Guild Novice

Map A single afternoon dungeon crawl

The Dread Temple Caverns

Originally constructed by the dwarven outcast Banz Schteinkopf half a century ago, these caverns have seen a lot of different residents since. A couple of years ago some goblinoids moved in. One evening, when they woke up, a large snake with a gorgeous female head was staring at them. She bade them kneel, and they did. In fact so overwhelming was Her charm that they did all She asked, and fought each other in order to please Her when orders where absent.

She ordered them kidnap travellers, and the prisoners flesh made Her satisfied and sleepy. But the blood of the prisoners was bottled and corked...

Now, years later, She has charmed a priest into service. Together, they await the oncoming constellation when the serpent is high and the waning moon is low on the sky. Then all the bottles, vintage and fresh alike, will be decantered just so onto the altar, and the Dutchess of Serpents will appear, and lo, all the guile and poison and violence of snakes shall be imparted upon them.

Yes, the time draws near. As luck would have it, a band of adventurers stumble upon these caverns. Will they be in time to stop the sanguine ritual? Or will they succumb to Her charms, and fill Her belly and Her bottles, like so many before them?
    Oh yes, and I'm a noob around here. Any feedback at all on the map would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dread_temple_caverns_small.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	52944

Guild Novice

Thanks, RobA! Hand drawn is the only way to go for me, at the moment. I spend too much time in front of the computer, so analog mapping is a nice and relaxing brake :-)

Guild Novice

One thing is for sure, though. I need to work on my typography. Maybe I should get one of those plastic letter template things if I can find one with a decent font?

Nice little one shot dungeon map!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

Nice hand-drawn work!

On the typography, what you have matches the general style of the map. I think the room numbers could use a little more dark edge line to make them stand out a bit, and the title runs a bit downhill, but those are minor nits. I really like the black/red map key text.

Guild Novice

Thanks a lot for the for the specific feedback on the typography, mthomas768, I really appreciate it! Will be sure to keep that in mind on my next project!
    Last edited by thomax; 03-22-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomax View Post
    The Dread Temple Caverns

Originally constructed by the dwarven outcast Banz Schteinkopf half a century ago, these caverns have seen a lot of different residents since. A couple of years ago some goblinoids moved in. One evening, when they woke up, a large snake with a gorgeous female head was staring at them. She bade them kneel, and they did. In fact so overwhelming was Her charm that they did all She asked, and fought each other in order to please Her when orders where absent.

She ordered them kidnap travellers, and the prisoners flesh made Her satisfied and sleepy. But the blood of the prisoners was bottled and corked...

Now, years later, She has charmed a priest into service. Together, they await the oncoming constellation when the serpent is high and the waning moon is low on the sky. Then all the bottles, vintage and fresh alike, will be decantered just so onto the altar, and the Dutchess of Serpents will appear, and lo, all the guile and poison and violence of snakes shall be imparted upon them.

Yes, the time draws near. As luck would have it, a band of adventurers stumble upon these caverns. Will they be in time to stop the sanguine ritual? Or will they succumb to Her charms, and fill Her belly and Her bottles, like so many before them?
    Oh yes, and I'm a noob around here. Any feedback at all on the map would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dread_temple_caverns_small.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	52944
    This is a great map, and I tried to send you a PM about it, but I think maybe the PMs aren't working right now because of the server mishap. Let me know if you got my messages, and if not I will try again later on.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by KJSEvans View Post
    This is a great map, and I tried to send you a PM about it, but I think maybe the PMs aren't working right now because of the server mishap. Let me know if you got my messages, and if not I will try again later on.
    I'm flattered that you want to use it! I sent you a thumbs-up answer on PM :-)