Thread: UK RPG Geek

Default UK RPG Geek

Just to say hi. I've been mooching around on the site for a while, and the stuff on here is absolutely inspirational. Thanks to you folks, I've discovered the joy of GIMP.

I was going to share my first original map in GIMP, but I can't seem to upload it. Anyway, I love some of the beautiful, realistic-looking maps on here, but I'm especially keen on the kind that appeared in fantasy gamebooks in the 1980s, like Joe Dever's Lone Wolf books. I have the artistic talent of a boiled vegetable, but I'm sure I'll crack it with the help of the awesome-sauce tutorials on this site. For my fantastic Lone Wolf-style map which you can't see, I leaned heavily on the 'Artistic Maps in GIMP' tutorial (by RobA, I think), as well as Arsheesh's 'Map Borders in GIMP', which is a work of art in its own right. Cheers, guys.

Out of interest, what have people studied that helps them with their mapmaking? Which helps more - geography/cartography or art/graphic design? Is it necessary to study to produce great maps?

Anyway, keep up the amazing work.

J

Welcome to the Guild jturner! To post a pic you can just use the "Insert Image" button/icon in your editing toolbox (see the image below). Glad the tutorials were helpful to you though, I remember having the same experience when I first came here. To answer your question, it's helpful to have a variety of skills in your toolbox when doing cartography. Some tutorials here do not require a lot of artistic talent to produce a decent looking map. Others do. As to cartographic knowledge, for very simple maps you don't need to be an expert. However if you wish to strive for accuracy, then at least some knowledge is essential. I'd recommend just practicing with more maps. I think you'll find that you will tend to pick up both the artistic and the scientific aspects of mapping as you go along.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I changed my browser to Firefox and was able to upload my maps. Yeay!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130413 Map of Lukwyr_s.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	53682
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130416 Lukwyr - B&W_s.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	53683

Those turned out beautifully jturner, great job! If you haven't done so already, you should also post these in the finished maps section since more people will see it there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks very much, Arsheesh- will do,
    J