Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilbur to gimp

I was looking into Fractal Terrains3 and I'm curious, is it just a more advanced version of Wilbur or is really different? I'm considering buying it but does it allow me to build my own world or is it completely random worlds? I mean would it allow me to import the world I'm making with wilbur and place mountains/lakes and what ever else where i want them?

Wilbur is my development toy. FT is a Wilbur derivative that's much more focused on interaction with ProFantasy's Campaign Cartographer tool (and is intended to be easier to use than Wilbur). The attached PDF is a small list of the major differences in concept between the two pieces of software. The document is an update of a file I did a very long time ago that compared Wilbur to the original FT (not FT Pro or FT3, just the original FT circa 2002).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilburvft.pdf 
Views:	80 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	53692

Hmm might not need that so much. I was interested in it for the fractal type of map but CC3 might be better for what i need. Not that i understand how that program works either lol. But i think it might be good for a typical fantasy map.

Thanks for the info, Wilbur is neat, wish it was a little faster on the continental scale though. Other wise its fun for tinkering.

One thing that FT3 (and Wilbur) can't do that most people need for maps is the vector drawing and labeling things. Those elements aren't the focus of those two programs, though; it's more the domain of general-purpose tools like (Photoshop, GIMP) or (Illustrator, Inkscape, CC3, Fractal Mapper).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12