Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilbur to gimp

Default Wilbur to gimp

Is there a way to import the wilbur file into gimp?

For example, i want to use wilbur to dig my lakes so i can better control my depth rather then using gimp to try and make it look right. Would there be a way to get what i see on wilbur into gimp so i can place it on my world map? I tried to save it as a png and load that but it just loaded up a black and white flat image. (I assume that's what wilbur uses to show its height and depth.)

I know i could just take a screen capture of the lake in wilbur and then copy that over but then it wouldn't be very high quality. If there is no other way, i may use that though.

In Wilbur, try File>>Save As and select "PNG Texture" as the type instead of "PNG Surface". You'll get the exact image that Wilbur shows on the screen.
    Last edited by waldronate; 04-15-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Awesome, thanks. Do you happen to know what the ddi (or ppi in gimps case) would be for the texture?

Wilbur has no concept of dpi or ppi. It is purely a number of pixels across and number of pixels high.

That should work then, now i just have to figure out what all your different filters do. I dug the lake (carved out by glaciers) and ran a noise filter and i like the result. Good smoothish bottom. But there are so many other little toys to tinker with, going to spend up hours playing with it I'm sure.

like the rest of us
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Is there a tutorial for wilbur that explains what everything does? I saw a couple on the main page but they don't really go into detail on what the different settings mean.

I would like to use it for doing height and depth with the oceans and the land if i can figure out how to do it. A full height map would be neat to make.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Try use a image like wut i am uploading here. Make it Back and White, where reds go to white and blues to black.
    Select the now black collor and add some blur (i like to use the Blur box, really easy to see the smooth in the collor borders).

I like to use Erosion (few passes) before use my preciption, it make the rivers and hills with a smooth touch.

This tuto is amazing: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...ing-wilbur.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rios veloria.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	53679  

Neat tutorial, i will have to try that on some of my islands.

Im sure it would work for the larger continent too. Just have to try it a bunch.
    Last edited by lokiie1984; 04-16-2013 at 03:10 PM.

An excellent use of that tutorial is to generate bump maps for your mountains and then paste them together in Photoshop. The islnads it generates tend to be much more reminiscent of volcanic islands than anything else (which also work fairly well for mountains ranges on larger blocks).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast