Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP - Roncix

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I like this look quite a lot. I just want to ask a quick question though...While I was admiring the mountains around Cindrassil (I do have a bit of trouble reading the lake's name) I noticed that the lake does not have an outflow and I was wondering if that was intentional? For some reason that doesn't really bother me, but it did make me curious...
    First thank you for admiring my mountains And also for pointing out the clarity of the lake's name, I'll fix it right away!
    As for the lake not having and outflow it really was intentional, since I'm kinda new in the cartography world I don't know, but it's possible right, the way it is?
    I had in my mind a huge valley, with a vast forest and a big neat lake, with many rivers flowing to it!

Yes, it is possible, but without an outflow, the lake will be salt water.

Blog Entries

First off, excellent map!

It's quite interesting and pleasing to look at - the colors you chose for your land masses and bodies of water are outstanding. I also like the rivers, since this map is full of them. Are the dotted lines supposed to represent country boundaries or roads? You might want to add that to your map. I see them as roads, but I might be wrong.

The border is quite heavy! I think it's a neat design that works well with the map, but the part where the compass lines continue behind the border is distracting. Maybe you could have the lines fade out as they draw near to the border or something. The land masses go behind the border, as they should, because they are part of the landscape, not the map. However, the compass is part of the map and might look better contained inside.

With the lake issue, I think the map might look better as a whole if you connected that lake to the water south of it. Maybe instead of using a river, you could just take out that land there and make a narrow strip of water. With all of those mountains there, I think it would make more sense to have that lake part of the ocean. I guess it depends on how much rain the region gets, and the watershed sorta thing with the mountains, but that lake is small in comparison to the mountains (which are excellent, by the way).

Think of all the things you could do with like a back-bay sorta thing!

Again, great map!

-fm
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yes it is POSSIBLE, but not very PROBABLE. There are various reasons for this; it implies that ALL of the ground around the lake is of the same elevation (or all sloping up) and equally non porous, and the only thing limiting the extent of the lake is evaporation. Hence the salty water. If there was any variance in either the elevation/slope or the porosity (real word?) that variance would eventually become the out flow as the water flows over/through it.

But like I said before, that really does not bother me much and was a curiosity as I could easily accept any of those explanations, or others that I hadn't thought of.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Hey there guys did a quick break on this month challenge to continue with my Rocix project.
    But before, thank you all for the support, especially Korash, foremost and Max for pointing out incorrect and weird things in my map! This is my best map so far, Im proud of it and your´s support is what keeps on making me loving this hobby even more!
    The big change here are the Banners, more names, more roads and the change from the bigger lake, as Korash, foremost and rdanhenry pointed out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roncix_12.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	54796

I really adore the celtic style designs in the border and the compass etc! Your mountains are really nice too. They look as if drawn by pen which is a nice effect!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234