Thread: Lacertus – commissioned map for a novel

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Lacertus – commissioned map for a novel

Here's my latest map, a commission for the writer Kassim Massop. I don't know much about the world so I don't have a lot to say about it… But he wanted something similar to the LotR maps in style, and had a sketch of the landmasses' general shape and the cities' locations, otherwise I was given a lot of freedom. I would have liked to make the labels smaller, but the final print size may be as small as A5 so I was worried they would become illegible if I shrunk them more.

Most of the map is watercolors on an A4 paper, the forests are made with a PS brush from a scanned tree icon, and labels were added in Illustrator.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kassim's map finished.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	56590

Blog Entries

Nice job Lingon (I'm guessing Swedish or Norwegian?

I am on the look out for a map myself. Do you perhaps have an album that I could take a look at?

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks, Flanston! I'm Swedish, yes

Sure, I have an album! Here it is: Lingon's Album: Finished maps

Nice work Lingon. Sketch work is great and I dig the compass rose. The fuzziness of the border doesn't seem to compliment the map very well though in my opinion. I could see something with rough, aged and possibly torn edges working well as an alternative.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pretty nice sketchy job Lingon! I concur with Arsheesh on the border though, it really doesn't fit the map and looks too blurry/fuzzy/poor quality.

Thanks guys! Now that you point it out, I totally agree about the border… shouldn't have blurred it so much. My client was happy so I won't redo it, but it's another thing I'll add to my list of stuff to keep in mind!