Thread: Some old maps of mine (Handdrawn)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Some old maps of mine (Handdrawn)

Ok, so i finally had a chance to take some pictures of two of my (very) old handdrawn maps. I put them in the finished Subforum because i do not think that i'll ever do more on them...even if they might need some more work
    Full disclosure: For the map on the right, i totally stole the landform from another map i liked back then. I think it was the Verduria map one can find on the internet.

P.S.: Yeah, very abstract mountains, i know

So here goes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	53694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	53695  
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Hey those are quite nice Eilethan. In fact, I think these are the only maps of yours I've ever seen. You should do more of them!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks arsheesh
    And indeed, i needed 369 posts before i ever uploaded a map of my own ^^ Mostly because i lacked a proper camera until now. But also because i have no PS/Gimp skills (so no electronic maps i could show around) and you guys intimidated me with all your gorgeous maps.
    Today, i changed my mind and decided to show you my meager hand-drawing skills. And you're right, arsheesh, i should draw more maps...i hope i will.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Yes, do draw more! Experiment, play, use lots of paper! =) You don't need digital software to create fabulous maps.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like that one on the left, especially that big ol' wall of mountains next to the Hadrian's Wall-looking thing.

Those are nice, Eliathen. There's nothing wrong with abstract mountains - they get the information across and they fit the overall style. Really, while some other styles of mountain symbols may be prettier, there can be such a thing as too much information. For instance if a mountain range is depicted as a single carefully wrinkled, shaded ridge instead of as a network of a hundred spread fingers, its realism is deceptive. Your depiction simply says "here is a whole bunch of mountains", which may be all the info the user needs.

So: well done!

I will note the right one has some implausible rivers. While in a few situations a river can split, they usually only join as they go downhill, and it would be highly unusual to see then emptying into more than one place. Take a look at the Most Excellent tutorial on How To Get Your Rivers In The Right Place for why and how that works. If the society you show is advanced enough (or I suppose if a previous civilization was advanced enough) you could show some bits of those waterways as canals connecting better-behaved rivers.

Do show us more, please - I like these!

Thanks, you guys

@ Diamond - You mean the continent-separating mountain-range? Yeah, that's a big fantasy-map cliché...but oh well. I was young... And thanks for the Rep.
    @ Chashio - Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to do that. And you are right of course. There are mappers on here who's handdrawn maps are as beautiful as the electronical ones...i just don't think i'm there yet. As Jbgibson says, mine are more like "simple and straight to the point" or something like that ^^

@jbgibson - Thanks jb, very much appreciated. And yeah, i have that one river violation. As i said, i was still young and ignorant ^^ After studying geography at uni, i hope this mistake will not come up again...or only if i have some fantasy-explanation for it...which in this map, i do not have
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Guild Novice

Very nice! I draw maps to. Keep up the good work!