Thread: Wow, a map community, cool

Default Wow, a map community, cool

So, after a few searches for mapping tools to see what's out there I found some links to check this site out. I'm just a guy who's trying to start his own Palladium Fantasy campaign and I really don't like any of the maps I have found, and I really have found very few maps. There is one part of the world where I want to make a detailed map, and I found 5 different fragments from the source books, but I want to put them all together and then add my own content, and have some drill down elements as well.

So here I am, trying to most likely bite off more than I can chew. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild Dread, You have found The Mappiest Place on the Web

Just as a teaser on what you might be able to come up with from the info and help available around here, you should check this out.

When you start your map, check out arsheesh's tut if you like the way that looks Once you are on your way post the work in the WIPs (Work In Progress) threads to get the most out of what this site has to offer.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

wow that is so cool. Basically my ultimate intent in general is to do a more detailed map of the bottom right hand corner of that area. And have all the rivers, towns, and points of interest included. So most of the Eastern Territories, all of Timiro, and most of the Old Kindgom but not all the way to Mt. Nimro, and includding the Land of the South Winds and the Floerny Island chain.

Thanks for the look.

Welcome to the Guild Dread Pirate! There are literally hundreds of tutorials on map creation here in the tutorials section that can help you accomplish your goal. What I'd do to start is to read Ravell's "Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping", posted as a sticky at the top of the Members Introduction sub-forum. It will give you a good idea what you'll need and where to go form here. If you don't already have Photoshop CS you may want to download GIMP, a freeware program that is quite a powerful tool for mapping. There are lots of great tutorials for GIMP here so I'd take some time to really explore them and see what style you are going for. My Eriond tutorial (which is explains more or less the methods I used to create the Palladium map) is a bit tricky to a first time user, but if you do decide to attempt it feel free to post any questions you may have, as well as a WIP of the map so that we can offer early feedback. Best wishes on your new adventure.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

thank you both for the warm welcome and kind advice.