Thread: Hafne: Dwarven Port-City for Mid-Fantasy World

Map Hafne: Dwarven Port-City for Mid-Fantasy World

Hello everyone!

This is my second map posted on the forums. It portrays a dwarven port-city carved and built from and in the mountain.
    I am thinking of adding some kind of legend to allow people to learn even more about the city.

I already have a quite rich story, that can be found below. Please ask questions concerning what you would like to know about the city or setting! It would only help me come up with new interesting things to add!

Please, do not hesitate to give me critique as it only allows me to hone my skills!

Cheers!

//Anton

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hafne Karta low size.jpg 
Views:	1314 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	53707

History:

Hafne was founded under the reign of Gigur the Old, during the war against the humans of the north, and at that time it served as the dwarves' southernmost military outpost.
    Nowadays it's a bustling port-city that handles trade routes to all the parts of the world, and thrives thanks to its large mines in the Northeast. The mountains closest to the sea have been found to contain large amonts of crystal, gems and ore, and the dwarves of Hafne use these natural resources to craft items to trade at the portside market.

Inhabitants:

The majority of the population are pureblooded dwarves, but since many humans moved here after the wars ended there are also half-dwarven and human communities. These "halfdwarves" live together with the few humans found in the city, and use their style of architecture. Thus, they timber their houses in the vicinity of the great walls. Most of the humans who live here are so called Northmen, taller and stronger than men from the southern lands.

Places of Interest/Landmarks:

The Docks: The docks of Hafne are the grandest in the north, and the only ones of their kind. The huge piers are all examples of fine dwarven craftsmanship. The older piers are carved from the mountain itself, while the newer ones are built from the bottom of the sea and up using stone from the mountain itself.

The Mines: The mines of Hafne glimmer in the light cast by the many lanterns placed there by the dwarven workers. Crystals, rare minerals and ores commonly occur in the mountains closest to the sea, and the people of Hafne has earned great wealth from the mining.

The Baracks: A building carved from solid stone rises from the earth close to the southernmost pier. It was built there during the days of King Gigur, and was one of the first buildings in the city. Soldiers are still trained here for use in the dwarven armies and in the town guard. To the east of the baracks there is a tournament field, and to the south is an archery range.

** The text in the top right spells "Hafne" in runic letters from the dwarven alphabet that I use when drawing and writing about my dwarves.

"Dvärgahamn" means Dwarfharbour in Swedish. In the top right corner it says "Till Gruvorna" which means "To the Mines"**

I like how you've given a specifically dwarven look to the map. Well done ! It would be nicer if the sea had a different color, even with a tone just a bit darker.

Thank you for providing some constructive criticism! I have been pondering over whether I should change the colour of the ocean, and this settles the deal!

Expect an updated version soon!

Here's a version with a blue ocean. As I drew the map by hand there are no nice layers to help me, so I decided to save some time and make the boats blue as well for now, until I know exactly what color combination suits the map.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hafne-Karta-blue-sea.jpg 
Views:	1556 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	54018