Thread: Svinlir Gūn Satellite Style

Default Svinlir Gūn Satellite Style

Hey there !

I've been quite silent during some time while I was feeding myself with all the quality advices from this great community !

The world I work on is a top-down world building project I've been setting up for a while now. After I did all the geology and climate stuff I wanted to present a world map in a photo-satellite style. You will probably notice that something is still missing. I need to work on it... later...

I can't exactly remember how I managed to work this out but I used many tutorials from the forum. Alas I didn't write them down so I'm quite unable to find them all again...

First, I used the Ridge Heightmap Tutorial to get my heightmap a little more interesting. Then I brought it to Wilbur so I can simulate precipitation based erosion. Afterwards I returned it to Photoshop and tried the Realistic Elevation Photoshop Brushes. With the result, I made a shaded heightmap through lightning effect. Finally I used a satellite world map to pick here and there some region in order to prepare some pattern for stamping. I covered a new layer with these patterns following the climate and biomes map I finished earlier.

Thank you for all the precious material on this forum, I'm in your debt !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartographie.png 
Views:	1948 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	53735
    Last edited by Guldaroth; 04-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)

Nice work ! Hoping to know a little more of your world !

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks pretty good but I feel a bit of disapointment since it doesn't really looks like a finished map without labels and others needed informations (scale/graticules/compass and so...)

I'd say you've accomplished your goal: looks very much like a satellite map. Nice work, but I agree with Max, would have been nice to see some labels.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you concerning the lack of labels; probably I should have posted this map under work in progress in order to preserve viewers from such a disappointement. Or perhaps just consider this as a "finished" satellite map.
    Nevertheless, since I am working from macro to micro-scale, I haven't done yet any kind of culture/civilization/language for this world. How should I name the seas, the continents, the mountains and such with no "local" language ? That's the main reason why the map seems a little bit empty. I need to be done first with the plants and animals to know exactly where will the different proto-civilizations settle down.

Again thank you for the encouragement and I hope to share a bit more with you later on !

All my works are under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-ND)