Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Style Mountains in GIMP

Wip Atlas Style Mountains in GIMP

Hello, This is my work in progress for a map using Ascension's Atlas Style tutorial for Photoshop. I've got some brilliant ideas, but the trouble is I'm using GIMP and the section on mountains and hills threw me. I did what I could, but the result is a bit 'blobby'. Can any GIMPsters help? Thanks
    J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130406 Continent of Astathel.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	53778

Added a few more bits today. I might start the mountains and land colouring again from scratch.

Name:	20130406 Continent of Astathel_s.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	832.4 KB 
ID:	53781

I looked around the CG site and came across the "Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP" tutorial by Gidde. I'm pretty happy with the result. Now I want to apply it to the map I already have. I wonder how easy it will be to retro-apply it to an existing map.

Name:	20130421 Astathel Mk2 (First Half)_small.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	53800

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Very nice, I'll check this out for my WIP map.

Looks like Alex Ander in your avatar there, jturner.

The main issue with that GIMP tutorial that I've found is that you don't have very much control over the placement of the mountains. It leads to mountains being placed in random splotches all over the map----it's a good learning tool while you figure out the GIMP, but in due course you'll want to move on to Arsheesh's Eriond Tutorial that teaches you to place mountains in long thin ranges and sculpt them with Wilbur. (Be confident with following the Gidde tutorial first).

PapersAndPaychecks, you're right. One of the characters from Dungeon Master, which I recently rediscovered. I wasted my week off work designing new dungeons for it, and was unable to explain to my family and colleagues, in satisfactory terms, what exactly I was doing. Both sides experienced a sensation of alienation. I think I might be a geek.

I know what you mean about placing mountains with Ascension's/Gidde's method. I tried cutting and pasting, but the result so far has been a bit blehhh. I'll try the Eriond tutorial. Thanks for the tip.

You may also want to check out some of the GIMP tutorials by RobA since those cover mountains in GIMP.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    PapersAndPaychecks, you're right. One of the characters from Dungeon Master, which I recently rediscovered. I wasted my week off work designing new dungeons for it, and was unable to explain to my family and colleagues, in satisfactory terms, what exactly I was doing. Both sides experienced a sensation of alienation. I think I might be a geek.
    Careful with that thing. When I was recovering from surgery in 2009, I made a small (cough) RTC dungeon... then I decided I wanted finer control over the monster AI and some special effects that RTC can't do, so I moved on to DSB. Which is similar, but scriptable. You can lose days and days in that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I know what you mean about placing mountains with Ascension's/Gidde's method. I tried cutting and pasting, but the result so far has been a bit blehhh. I'll try the Eriond tutorial. Thanks for the tip.
    Yeah, it's good. The magic is in the process of smoothing out the land clouds once you've pasted them----which is really time-consuming. I'm halfway through my effort at that.

This is the "Eriond" version so far.
    TO DO:
    - Reduce contrast between land and mountains.
    - Figure out why rivers didn't work in Wilbur and/or if you can add rivers manually.
    - Add title, compass rose, border, etc.

Name:	20130427 Astathel - Eriond Style.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	53987

Yeah, I couldn't make Wilbur create rivers using "Incise flow" either. I finished up making my rivers by using the Erosion Cycle option twice. Slightly more detailed description here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast