Hey there.
I've recently registered just to comment on Ascension's atlas styled tutorial features on the website and provide with some technical difficulties solutions. However when doing the tutorial itself I managed to get as far as the 20th or so step before things begun going awry.

So first off I am using Windows 7 64b and Adobe Photoshop CS6, I've got my technical issues solved to get to step 20 of this tutorial. Now, I believe that at the time of writing this tutorial Ascension did not use CS6. So a lot of the technology changed. My main concern here is that I believe I have to apply certain changes to the layer blending mode on the base layer, though I could not find anything to state anything specific on the tutorial.

So here is a screenshot of what I got at.. uh.. end of step 21. Which is not at all like what shown on the tutorial itself- namely that the gradient is not showing the detail on the lower layers, even when set to Hard Light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8m76QZM.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	53792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GYfbAFH.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	555.8 KB 
ID:	53793

I'm really not sure what I am doing wrong. As well that while I have some experience editing images on Photoshop, I am no wizard!
I would appreciate if anyone could perhaps help me with a simple walk-through or solution to this issue, if they are working on CS6 too and have attempted to do this.
OR if they can direct me to other tutorials that could guide me into a similar solution. - I am trying to create a world map for a tabletop pathfinder campaign for myself and friends.

Thanks for your time reading this.
~G