Thread: Infinite Staircase map

Map Infinite Staircase map

I'm preparing to run the Planescape adventure Tales from the Infinite Staircase. Most maps I've made were direct recreations of published 2e TSR maps and I assume I can't post any. But the Stairway of Desolation map was originally done in a 3d perspective. So I get to post my top down version of it.

I kept them fairly simple in detail since they are such big maps and I'm short on time anyway. I use them with Maptool and prefer to set lighting within the program. So these don't include the graphics I used for light sources.

These maps are huge and I included the high res versions (10800x10800!!!) in a zip file along with a png of a "cavern" roof that can be placed over the "cave" section of this map. These high res versions are created for a 100x100 pixel grid but can be scaled down to 50% for a 50x50 pixel grid.

I don't know how useful an Infinite Staircase map would be to the public. But here ya go....

http://www.rpglocker.com/DnD/Infinite_Staircase.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Infinite Staircase upper 01 small.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	53863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Infinite Staircase 01 small.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	53860
    Last edited by Oryan77; 04-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hmmm, tried a post but I may have deleted it. Here goes again.

Hooray for big maps! I really like the sense of vertigo I get looking down into the abyss as the platforms spiral away. It does seem like there are some strange drop shadow behaviours, where a drop shadow appears on a platform far below the one that is casting the shadow, but you did say you were working quickly.

I'm positive I can find a use for these!

cheers,
    Meshon

I was fiddling with the shadows and realized I was spending too much time on it. So I left them how they were. I realize there should be very little shadow or none at all, but I couldn't get that feeling of depth when one platform or staircase was above another. So I cheated and went with the strange drop shadows. I thought it gave more depth, but maybe I'm wrong.

Guild Adept

I'm not sure that I can use these maps, but darn if they ain't cool to look at. Well done.

Maps so good, I have to find a way to use them.